Does the weather affect sufferers?

witchpig

Dec 31, 2011
Maidstone Kent
I ask the above question as mum seems to be getting worse when the weather is hot or stormy or both. She keeps repeating what shes said, Keeps wanting to be near me and whatever im doing,( she is now a volunteer where I work, Last laugh is on her though as they have said that if she has a crisis of funny turn it wont just be my view but everyone she works with).
She keeps trying to be the centre of attention, On my birthday the other day she decided that she had a bad pain in her leg so could I have my birthday party at her house, I wasn't planning on having a birthday party but shes insisting I said I was.
When I said I was going to a meeting run by our local carers project she said hadn't she better come to see if im alright. The days that these things happen have all been hot or thundery.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
That makes sense to me. Certainly, I am not at my best when it's hot and humid so why shouldn't that apply to people with dementia. Perhaps it has to do with barometric pressure, as I read that low pressure, cloudy, overcast and rainy days causes a 30% increase in migraines.

We are so insulated from weather now that we don't realize how it can still affect us.

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Thank heavens for the warmer UK weather

My wife suffers with rheumatoid arthritis and is always cold, only the other day I turned off the heating, she like it around 20c (68f) whereas I prefer 14c (57f)

Today, right now my Barometer is showing 22c (72f) so I am sat next to the open window (where my PC is) and my OH is wandering around the house quite happy

Phew.... (Hot)

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
I do think extremes of temperature trigger responses in my Mum. When it's cold she definitely shows more signs of confusion (especially when she turns her radiator off and opens the windows wide :rolleyes:) However I have noticed similar agitation and confusion with the hot humid weather we have been experiencing. At present it doesn't appear to be a permanent step change just a weather influenced blip!? :)

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
You could try substantially increasing fluid intake if it is hot or humid. It is amazing how much lack of fluids can affect the brain. For example, my SIL has a brain injury and if it is hot we can immediately tell if she is needing to increase her fluids as the brain function slows down very quickly. If she's not amenable to additional drinks then ice-lollies, ice-cream, watermelon etc. can all help.

Fiona