Does online support for carers work? We need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonshadow

Aug 22, 2013
Academic Research & Advice is good and I have always supported. However I found forums likes TalkingPoint very useful, it gives you the feeling you΄ρe not alone, I ask for practical advice and in my turn can help others with hands-on tips if I can.

to tell you the truth, I 'd appreciate very much if academia would find ways to have dementia home carers get a qualification, the system can take advantage of their extraordinary and valuable experience, so that they return back to professional life.

After caring for 8 whole years for my mom (she passed away 10 months ago), I now feel eternally ... jobless.

ps we cannot enjoy an aromatherapy session online, can we? :D

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
I think online support is invaluable. You can use it when its convenient for you, on your own or with another family member. For me the key question would be what you get out of it and what your next stage is.

Just talking like this is very helpful and as has been send in this thread, you can take it or leave it. The difficulty can be putting in place 'something' that is available. I remember our social worker coming round to see my mum and all that came out of it was a mid afternoon 'safe and well' visit because that was all that was of practical use. Other ideas such as using a befriending service were mention but not used. So I think you have to consider what can be done as a result of support that is actually available.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I think online support is very valuable. I don't often post on this forum, but I do a lot of reading based round my concerns and worries and I benefit a lot from the experience of others. When I do post, I find the responses are kind, sympathetic & practical, and that helps a lot.

Sandralesley

Jan 19, 2017
Online support

I have just completed the Caring for me and you online support programme and have found it really helpful. I was lucky enough to be chosen for telephone support too and both the contacts were helpful, good listeners and informative. I would recommend this research programme to anyone who is at the start of their journey caring for someone with Dementia.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I have just completed the Caring for me and you online support programme and have found it really helpful. I was lucky enough to be chosen for telephone support too and both the contacts were helpful, good listeners and informative. I would recommend this research programme to anyone who is at the start of their journey caring for someone with Dementia.

Welcome to TP Sandra :)

Claire1507

Mar 1, 2017
Thank you for posting that, I'm looking into it right now. I definitely need some advice and support x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Myrildinard

Mar 5, 2017
New to this but thank you

I'm working my way through it but to be honest not finding it terribly useful.

I am new to this as I have removed my mother from the home she was in to take on her full time care in her own home. I could not leave her in the home after caring for my father who had cancer until he died I felt mum deserved the same level of respect and care in her own home. So I gave up my home, job and friends 200 miles away to move into the family home and bring her home. Something she was eager to do.
I am now so afraid I will not cope and was going to look at this research but I agree with you- how can thinking if the good times release the stress of the practical frustrations.
I am really struggling with Mums constant toilet accidents, 24/7 hallucinations and sadly her hypochondria of her younger years is now an obsession with her. The only support I have from SS is a small contribution towards one day a week daycare and a couple of weeks respite per year . ( again not the full cost )
Thank you for saving me further frustration

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
Just to update this thread before we close it:

"The Caring for Me and You study can no longer accept new participants. People who are already signed up can continue to work through the programme and evaluation, using your usual log in details.

We will have all the feedback from participants by November 2017 and hope to have results to share by Summer 2018.

Thank you so much to everyone who has registered for this research trial – we appreciate your interest in the study and your important contribution to helping us understand what kind of online support is most helpful to carers.

If you have any queries, please email caringformeandyou@alzheimers.org.uk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa