Does Mum have dementia?

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
My elderly Mum (89) lives alone in Southampton and I as her daughter and next-of-kin live in Portsmouth. Mum's only other known livi9ng relatives are my married daughter in London (Mum's only grandchild) and a male cousin living up in Yorkshire. Mum was taken into hospital last Christmas Day (2019) with chest pains but wasn't discharged back home until mid-February - she had two courses of antibiotics which didn't work so then had to be put on steroids which upset her diabetic sugar levels, and when she was medically fit for discharge there was a further delay while the hospital social worker set up a care package for her.

Mum's medical conditions that I know of include asthma, emphysema, diabetes, macular degeneration, breast cancer and at least one TIA (mini-stroke) that I know of. I was also told by the district nurse or some nursing visitor that Mum was also recently diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) and it certainly seems that since her hospital stay her confusion has got noticeably worse. I should also add that Mum is as deaf as a post and rarely remembers to wear her hearing aids, which makes telephone conversations difficult at best; she doesn't have the internet or a mobile phone so the only way I can communicate with her right now is either by phoning and just hoping she has her hearing aids in, or writing a letter.

Because of Mum's age, medical conditions and the coronavirus Mum is supposed to be on 12 weeks isolation at which makes getting her grocery shopping difficult as she struggles to walk to the local shops to do her shopping. My daughter has got Mum registered with the local authority as a very vulnerable person and she is due to receive one of the government food parcels any day now - yet despite a freezer full of ready meals she insisted yesterday on walking to the local shops for bread and milk. Both my daughter and I have tried on numerous occasions to get her to understand she must stay indoors or within her own garden and not venture out further, but Mum just doesn't realise the risk she's putting herself to by going out. She is also confused about taking all her various medications; some days she forgets altogether and on other days she takes double the doses which of course doesn't do any good at all . Mum is also the old-fashioned type who insists on paying her utility bills in cash or by cheque, which causes further problems.

All in all both my daughter and I think that, as Mum is now getting so confused and in need of someone at hand 24/7 to keep an eye on her, the time has now come for her to go into permanent residential care for her own safety. There's a nice private care home near to where she lives that would be suitable for her but very expensive - however finance doesn't appear to be a problem.

My daughter is going to contact Mum's GP in the morning to insist on Mum having a test for dementia; on good days she appears perfectly normal apart from the deafness, but on bad days she's totally incapable of managing to do anything at all. Mum claims there's a POA set up but I don't believe this at all because surely if this was the case I as the NOK would have had to be informed, even if I wasn't necessarily told who has the POA (it certainly isn't me). I have tried to mention the topic of her going into residential care, but although Mum admits she can't cope at home she's reluctant to consider residential care as her bungalow, her home of over forty years, would eventually have to be sold to fund said care which she doesn't want to have to do as she wants to be able to leave her home and savings to myself and my daughter. In the early 1960's Mum went through a very acrimonious separation and later divorce from her first husband (my late father) and as a result she and I had to move to the opposite end of the country literally; I as a 9 yr old at the time found it very difficult to settle to life down south and struggled to be accepted at school because of my northern accent; Mum has always felt very guilty that she had to take me so far away from my home, friends and family and wants to make up for this by leaving her estate to myself and my daughter.

What I'd like advice on is whether, in people's opinion, Mum does have some degree of dementia and if so how to get Mum into a care home for her own safety and our peace of mind?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I was also told by the district nurse or some nursing visitor that Mum was also recently diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) and it certainly seems that since her hospital stay her confusion has got noticeably worse.

My daughter is going to contact Mum's GP in the morning to insist on Mum having a test for dementia; on good days she appears perfectly normal apart from the deafness, but on bad days she's totally incapable of managing to do anything at all.

MCI can be a 'pre-cursor' to dementia but there isn't a single test to confirm whether someone has dementia or not, and it's not something that forum members will be able to confirm for you. The GP may do some basic cognitive tests then refer your mum to the memory clinic. This may result in more tests and a scan, and it can sometimes take some time for a diagnosis to be confirmed.

Mum is also the old-fashioned type who insists on paying her utility bills in cash or by cheque, which causes further problems.

There's a nice private care home near to where she lives that would be suitable for her but very expensive - however finance doesn't appear to be a problem.

Mum claims there's a POA set up but I don't believe this at all because surely if this was the case I as the NOK would have had to be informed, even if I wasn't necessarily told who has the POA (it certainly isn't me).

There is no requirement for anyone to be informed when a POA is set up, next of kin or not. You can check on the OPG website to see if there is a POA in place: https://www.gov.uk/find-someones-attorney-deputy-or-guardian

If there isn't one already in place then I suggest that you try to get your mum to set them up - get both Financial and Health & Welfare POA. You mention that "finance doesn't appear to be a problem" but don't assume that your mum would be a self-funder without knowing what savings she has in her accounts.

With regards to getting her into a home, no-one wants to go into a home but there comes a point when their needs become more important than their wants. Does she have any carers coming in at the moment to help with things like medication and meals? If not, could you consider getting these in place, particularly as your mum accepts that she needs help. Under the lockdown guidance, as your mum is a vulnerable person you are still able to visit her in order to deal with her care needs, help her with shopping etc. I would suggest requesting a care needs assessment from social services - check her local authority website for contact details, and advise that you don't know whether she would be self-funding or not (has savings in excess of £24,500). If she is not a self-funder then they will be able to contribute towards her care costs but they are unlikely to recommend a care home until home care visits have been tried first, unless there are clear safeguarding issues. If your mum does go into a home then her house will be treated as an asset, although a deferred payment agreement could be put in place whereby the local authority place a charge on the property and pay the care fees in lieu of the property being sold at a later date. If your mum is a self-funder then getting carers in first to help her may make the transition into a care home easier. Trying to get someone with cognitive impairment to stay indoors during the lockdown is causing problems for many - you may find some helpful tips in the covid-19 forum: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/coronavirus-covid-19.83/ You are going to have problems at some point down the line if you don't have POA' s in place so try to get these sorted as a priority.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Even if your Mum already has a POA in place she can make a new one naming you and/or your daughter as Attorney/s. If, as you say, she wants to ensure that you both inherit her estate you could use this as a bargaining point to make sure she has a current Will and both H&W and Financial LPAs in place by saying it would make things easier for you to manage everything at a later date if you were already aware of her finances. Explain that the LPAs can be registered immediately but not brought into play until needed, especially as she has already spent time in hospital recently point out that bills would need paying if something similar happened again and it would make sense for you to be able to do that!