Does it cause hallucinations?

terrysaab

Mar 9, 2007
Can anyone please let me know if people who suffer from Alzheimers suffer with hallucinations at all?

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Hi Terry,

my mum suffers from hallucinations and has throughout the third year of her illness. She has "seen" children and men in her house and garden .
These are very real to her, she has had auditory hallucinations too, where she belives she can hear people talking about and to her.
I think its quite a common symptom of the condition, though my experience is only through caring for my mum for the last three years.
You will get loads of information , words of advice and comfort from people on here.

Good luck
Ally xx

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
My Mum has had hallucinations-visual rather than auditory-but she has vascular dementia, not Alzheimer's disease. The medication does seem to keep them under control and she is not distressed now. She has been in a Care Home and Nursing Home since summer 2005.
Kayla

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Yes, some do and some don't. Sometimes the patient may realise what they are seeing isn't real, sometimes not. Sometimes they are relatively harmless, sometimes they can be very frightening. It is probably no use trying to confront and convince the patient things they see and hear aren't real (to them they are real, they can see and hear these things).

There are medications that can help reduce hallucinations, if necessary.

It is also possible for people with AD to have delusions, which are false beliefs (eg they are convinced someone is trying to harm them) which may or may not be connected.

My Dad often wakes up in the evening thinking there are, or have been, people in the house, or that his long-deceased parents are here, but we're not sure whether those are hallucinations, delusions, or just confusion with old memories jumbled up with the present day.

We have found that the medication has helped with delusions, and at the same time has reduced the anxiety that is associated with them, when they surface.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Terry,

as others have said, some people do and some don't. Dad had quite a few even early on, but they were luckily quite harmless. If you run a forum search on "hallucinations" you will find loads of discussions and experiences on the subject.

Kind regards
Craig

chants

Jan 7, 2007
Barnsley
Hi Terry

My mum suffered from hallucinations, she thought my Dad was still alive and had gone to do her shopping etc. It was upsetting for her when she did realise that it wasn't true.

It should pass. Take care. Chants

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Terry,

My husband had hallucinations when he was trying Aricept and Reminyl.
Once he stopped taking the drugs, the hallucinations stopped completely.

A couple of weeks ago, he had one hallucinating episode again, believing we had squatters in the house. By comparing notes on TP, I realized we had had a sleepless and very disturbed night and that may have been the cause.

He has been fine since.

So as Craig and Nebiroth said, there are so many different reasons and causes. I hope those your mum is having clear up soon. Have you mentioned them to her GP? There might be some help available.

With love

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
chants said:
Hi Terry

My mum suffered from hallucinations, she thought my Dad was still alive and had gone to do her shopping etc. It was upsetting for her when she did realise that it wasn't true.

It should pass. Take care. Chants

This sounds more like a delusion, or an old memory. A delusion is a false belief.

If your mum had actually seen your Dad in the room with her say, then that would be a hallucination.

It is often very difficult to tell between hallucinations, delusions and confusion.

However, hallucinations are seeing or hearing things that aren't real, whilst delusions are just believing them.

Of course, you can have a combination.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My mother only got them when she first started Exbixa , she said she saw my father in her room on a horse and cart , I never forget as it was a shock to me because back then I never new anything about AZ or AZ can give people hallucinations , when she said that I thought now can a horse ,cart fit into my mother room!!! then read that Exbixa can give hallucination , she had a few more , but they stop after a few mouths and has never had any more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart