Does donepezil cause increase labido

Skinnyone0

Aug 23, 2014
Help. Every since my husband has been on this med he is touching feeling me and won't leave me alone he is always making sexual comments to me and in general he is always wanting kisses cuddles and touchy feely all the time and has to hold my hand leg or boobs all nite in bed.. We have been married 40 yrs and I am disabled this is driving me mad along with the long moods if I complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

oldman1952

Apr 4, 2014
Hightened sexual responses in people on Donepezil

Hi SkinnyoneO, Donepezil is an anti-cholinesterase medication used to help stabilise cognitive decline and mood changes in mild to moderate dementia and can increase libido. Your GP, husbands psychiatrist or CPN can help with getting your husbands urges under control. Even without Donepezil your husband can get normal urges because dementia can affect the frontal lobes of the brain which are responsible for rational behaviour. Lets say you were in a queue for a cinema, you would think "I wish I could go to the front of the line and get in out of the cold" but because your rationality is intact you would wait until it was your turn. Your husband has dementia and that part of his brain has been damaged so he would have no formal rationality and would walk to the front of the queue and make other people quite angry. Dr Desmond Morris the zoologist spoke about : "Mankind are born with sexuality and live with it until they pass" even though you may not be able or do not want to engage in the act of love making any more, your husband does not know that! he is still living in a time when your relationship was developing and his urges are still there. Go and talk to the members of the team who are looking after his care. They will be very understanding and there are some mild medication that will take away his urge to make advances to you. Hope this works. I have nursed a few ladies that were on Donepezil and they were quite difficult to deal with in a ward situation. We had to ensure that we were aware of their presents at all times, because they thought that any man were their departed husband.

Last edited:

Skinnyone0

Aug 23, 2014
Oh Thankyou so much for your kind reply I was in dispair of ever getting this sorted I will be contacting his care team next week. You have made me feel much more positive once again Thankyou xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
One of the difficulties with dementia is that the person loses inhibitions. Is it possible for you to distract him in some way until he falls asleep/ Would you be able to go to the bathroom in hopes he falls asleep quickly?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I noticed this too since my wife was prescribed Aricept (then later Donepezil), as Oldman says "Mankind are born with sexuality and live with it until they pass" but it misses out "womankind" too.
Possibly it's the medication, possibly it's the loss of inhibitions that go with AZ, possibly he just fells the need for affection or friendship, friends often desert when AZ appears.
In the old days when granny had a couple of sherries and flashed her knickers it was OK, she was old and it was accepted as what it was, if granddad did anything it would be called "inappropriate behaviour" or some other PC term but it was still the same thing.
I'm (given her condition) uncomfortable when my wife makes advances these days, however, we have been in a relationship since 1974 so why wouldn't she still want to?
K

oldman1952

Apr 4, 2014
Sorry I forgot my feminine side.

I am sorry but I didn't mean to eliminate women from my thread, haha. In fact I think I did mention a few ladies with the same effects as men get. Imagine it's 02:00 in the morning and you are working on night shift on an assessment for the care of the older persons ward. In the back ground is a lady in her 90th year. She shouts as loud as she can " Help, I need a MAN and I don't care I just need a man." The staff nearly wet ourselves.

Skinnyone0

Aug 23, 2014
Hi Alan. Could you tell me what Meds your wife has been on to stave off advances to you.
I have been waiting 2 wks now calling hubby's care they sent a nurse out on Thurs she said she would get straight back to me but still not heard anything and I am stuck with sleepless nights fending off my hubby

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Alan. Could you tell me what Meds your wife has been on to stave off advances to you.
I have been waiting 2 wks now calling hubby's care they sent a nurse out on Thurs she said she would get straight back to me but still not heard anything and I am stuck with sleepless nights fending off my hubby

I imagine it's "Olanzaprine " as Alan has put it in bold at the top.
K

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I'm afraid that when John developed an overdose of passion, I often had to resort to AL. What is AL, you may ask? Well, there are lies, white lies and Alzheimer Lies. ;) However much you may love your spouse, in my case having been together for nearly 50 years, 12 of these with Miss Alzheimer's as an unwanted third party, I found it hard to feel passionate when John became doubly incontinent. :eek:

So one day, when he approached me, in an evident state of excitement, I said "oh darling, we've already had Rumpy Dumpy 4 times today. I think we should have a rest now". This of course was a pack of AL - but it worked! :D Good Luck!

Cyndot

Jul 19, 2015
I am sorry but I didn't mean to eliminate women from my thread, haha. In fact I think I did mention a few ladies with the same effects as men get. Imagine it's 02:00 in the morning and you are working on night shift on an assessment for the care of the older persons ward. In the back ground is a lady in her 90th year. She shouts as loud as she can " Help, I need a MAN and I don't care I just need a man." The staff nearly wet ourselves.

I find the phrase nearly wet ourselves, an inappropriate response to anyone with Alzheimer's. Sufferers despite their strange and possibly challenging behaviour should be treated with respect , dignity and compassion not laughed at or used for the entertainment of the staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skinnyone0

Aug 23, 2014
Well after having phoned hubby's consultants secretary we had a visit from a nurse then she went back and spoke to the doctor they then told me to stop his donapensal for 7 days then they called again to see if this made any difference which it has so now they go back to talk to doctor to find a new med to replace this. This has now taken approx four weeks which seems a long time but hope we hear soon and get new prescription soon x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I do find it offensive.

It's one thing to try find the humour in the situation you find yourself as a carer, and quite another thing entirely to laugh at person with dementia, particularly as a professional carer.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
{ Does donepezil cause increase labido } obviously I’m speaking for myself and my own experience of taking Aricept myself for almost sixteen years and now on Donepezil for almost a month it definitely Hasn’t in my case , actually quite the opposite so maybe it the case its doesn’t for everyone

oldman1952

Apr 4, 2014
Does donepezil cause increased labido

I do find it offensive.

It's one thing to try find the humour in the situation you find yourself as a carer, and quite another thing entirely to laugh at person with dementia, particularly as a professional carer.

I am sorry to all the people that I might have offended with my quote about the lady and staff laughing at a patient. We were actually talking with her a few minutes earlier and she knew my name. She would also call out for me. She still had a sense of humour even though she had dementia and she also had capacity and pretty reasonable recall. Plus this was in the dark old days of institutionalisation when every psychiatric illness was clumped together. Most patients were on high doses of Chlorpromazine! and walked like a robot. Did you care for someone then Jennifer? I am glad I nursed through this period because I saw bad practises and good practises when new nursing changes took place. We did things differently then, as there was no PC to worry about and we knew no different. By the way this was way back in the late 1960's. I learned to nurse and see people as individuals, not as numbers. It did annoy me not being able to give my time to the patients that needed my help the most. The first ward I worked on had 28 beds and they were all psychogeriatric men and 3 male nurses to get them up. Wash and shave them, give them their breakfast, toilet them very regularly because there were no incontinent pads then. A 10 hour shift was back breaking with out hoists to move people around. We lined the chaps up in the washroom in their commodes and one nurse had a badger hair brush and hard shaving soap, whilst the other had a razor. Only one and we went down the line shaving them with the same razor. There were no individual clothing, We had piles of small, medium and large clothes in which we had to clothe them for the day. We also had about 7 men that were bed bound 24/7 and they never ever had a bed sore. We turned them and cleaned them every 2 hours. I developed a different set of skills from other nurses even before these new nursing guidelines came in because I wanted to do things another way. What made me a good nurse was the ability to listen, not take things out of context and ask questions. Best regards oldman1952.

Last edited:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
At the risk of offending some readers...could you try saying " Not tonight pet....it's that time of the month" and make sure that you have your " Time of the month" nightie on!! :confused:;););)
Many of us women of a certain age used to have a preferred nightdress, usually worn and comfortable that was the garment of choice at "that time"....Mine was a brushed nylon nightshirt give to me by an Auntie when I was about 14..... believe it or not, my daughter still has it.... and still wears it when the need for a cosy night arises....I think she's hanging on to it until her 10 year old daughter needs it.:D:D:D

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
At the risk of offending some readers...could you try saying " Not tonight pet....it's that time of the month" and make sure that you have your " Time of the month" nightie on!! :confused:;););)
Many of us women of a certain age used to have a preferred nightdress, usually worn and comfortable that was the garment of choice at "that time"....Mine was a brushed nylon nightshirt give to me by an Auntie when I was about 14..... believe it or not, my daughter still has it.... and still wears it when the need for a cosy night arises....I think she's hanging on to it until her 10 year old daughter needs it.:D:D:D

Great answer (still laughing). However this is an old post.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Donepezil certainly has never had that effect on my husband so it obviously can vary

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point