Does dad need sectioned or nursing home

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for your support
X all it means a lot even though I don’t know you all but i know many have followed my nightmare journey been through similar
Today i feel like the saint that betrayed jesus at the last supper if anyone understands ? i feel awful
I feel so ill everything is moved so quick dad was so confused yesterday he kept dozing off then putting hes pull up
On hes head/pulling the bed up fiddling around with pillows taking out rubbish from the bins in bathroom etc etc @Jessbow the nurse told me last night he also not getting he pull ups changed wet himself twice and found him in wet pyjamas /nurses getting fed up its as if hes just there but being ignored i find it difficult to get basic information ie has he slept/ate as nurses too busy then if i do manage its a wuick 2 minutes and another nurse comes in or i get sorry too busy
Hes not eating the hospital food n they not encourageing him /or drinking
Hes had a dols out on him but nobody informed me i found out by accident very annoyed about it ill be bringing that up at the meeting

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@deepetshopboy I have followed your story, though I don't comment a lot.
The issues you have with the hospital are sadly all too common. I think you will find that if your Dad is stabilised a bit (maybe with sectioning) and moves to residential care, they are much better at making sure personal care of all kinds is done in a timely way. My mother was sectioned several times. It is never a nice process, but it did ensure she got the care she needed, especially trying drug therapies in a controlled and safe environment. It is a tough time, but sometimes sectioning may be what is needed.
You have had such a difficult time and been let down badly by local services. I hope today gives you more of a way forward.

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for your support
X all it means a lot even though I don’t know you all but i know many have followed my nightmare journey been through similar
Today i feel like the saint that betrayed jesus at the last supper if anyone understands ? i feel awful
I feel so ill everything is moved so quick dad was so confused yesterday he kept dozing off then putting hes pull up
On hes head/pulling the bed up fiddling around with pillows taking out rubbish from the bins in bathroom etc etc @Jessbow the nurse told me last night he also not getting he pull ups changed wet himself twice and found him in wet pyjamas /nurses getting fed up its as if hes just there but being ignored i find it difficult to get basic information ie has he slept/ate as nurses too busy then if i do manage its a wuick 2 minutes and another nurse comes in or i get sorry too busy
Hes had a dols out on him but nobody informed me i found out by accident very annoyed about it ill be bringing that up at the meeting
A DOLs (Deprivation of Liberty Order) would be taken out to cover the hospital so they are lawfully preventing your father from leaving. You probably knew this but it is very commonly used with patients who are confused and probably need to be "specialled" one to one. It sounds as if communication is lacking here and quite rightly you should mention this - hopefully to the ward manager in writing. Best wishes for the Best Interests Meeting.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Thanks for your support
DoLs is fairly standard, i'd have been surprised if they hadn't. its not something they need your permission to do, and really doesnt affect you.

At least they have got him to wear pulls ups- thats a move forward

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
My dads now got covid this is getting worse by the day they are testing him again ?hes got no symptoms but has been put on a isolation ward has a room its boiling hot no health care Assistants and a secruity guard outside
Not allowed to walk around cannot visit anymore
2 male nurses shouting at me yesterday when i was told to leave they didnt even want me getting my possessions or saying goodbye wothin 10
Minutes of telling me my dad had covid was going be isolated on top floor its all going through pals /mp etc as its too much to mention here but my dad has been neglected on previous ward and wouldn’t have eaten if it wasn’t for me as no nurse encouraged him to eat and hes pull ups have been full of wee he was laid zonked out yesterday when i arrived for best interest meeting in hes own urine i had tp call nurses to help
I was able to go up with him but that was it last night got home 2 pm
In the old ward hes gold wedding ring was taken off hes finger which he had for 20 yrs
Nowere to be found it’s pending a investigation
He had no health care Assistants yesterday secruity guard helping in to bed said your not supposed to u have to ask the nurse you will break hes arm
Hes now stuck in a room 14 days by himself
They are short staffed sp he cannot have a healthcare assistant but they have requested it
a secruity guard sat outside so hes in a room by himself
Im extremely worried now for hes welfare
Ive had to go through the dr /pals tp get a nurse tp update me as they are too busy to talk everytime i call
Its so bad
At the meeting yesterday they decided to put him on olanxipine ?
And keep him in hospital
For now
pending care home or home

But this was before covid so it in the air now ?☹️

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
DoLs is fairly standard, i'd have been surprised if they hadn't. its not something they need your permission to do, and really doesnt affect you.

At least they have got him to wear pulls ups- thats a move forward
I have POa /next of kin so should have been informed

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry to hear your dad has covid
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))

PS - They dont have to inform next of kin/POA about DoLS. When mum was in hospital I wasnt informed about the DoLS - I just assumed that they would do it. Its just routine.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If he tested positive for covid, no they wont let you go with him- they will want to get him isolated as soon as they can.

He's safe, whatever else is going on , he's safe. Hope the ring is found- if staff removed it, it should be with his posessions ( in the locked part of his locker)

Take a deep breath, its going to be hard, but nothing will change until he has a negative covid test

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Try seeing if you can be classed as an’essential Carer’ it is a term used in care homes for people with dementia and other issues that need continuous familiar care. The definition is on the government website
hope this helps X

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Try seeing if you can be classed as an’essential Carer’ it is a term used in care homes for people with dementia and other issues that need continuous familiar care. The definition is on the government website
hope this helps X
Cannot go in hospital at all as hes in covid ward but if he goes into home i will ask thanks

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm so terribly sorry you are going through this - it is beyond unacceptable. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels really angry on your behalf. When I hear accounts like this it makes me scared stiff about hospitals so hope I don't ever need one. I would be very reluctant to put myself in their hands...

Glad you are in touch with PALS - they are probably your best hope.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
I'm so terribly sorry you are going through this - it is beyond unacceptable. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels really angry on your behalf. When I hear accounts like this it makes me scared stiff about hospitals so hope I don't ever need one. I would be very reluctant to put myself in their hands...

Glad you are in touch with PALS - they are probably your best hope.
Pals are hopeless the office is closed and the only way is by email which they dont reply to and phone they sent a quick text saying they would get the ward to call me
I now need to go through nhs england to make a complaint cqc n health ombudsman
The hospital dont care just said we will take it on board what u said
Im not letting this drop
My dad is still stuck in there om not getting any information from ss hospital etc i dont even know why I bothered getting poa they all just walked over it sw shouting at me sticking up for the hospital not letting me speak and making deceaions without even consulting me on were he goes now being told hes going to step down psychiatric hospital by nurse then another saying they sending him home with care package then another saying he’s waiting on a home but they wont take him i was advised to ask for a best interest meeting again but i cant even gp into the hospital despite having 3 negative test not even sure if im allowed

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
What do you truly want for him?
Do you think the time has come to agree he went into care? If that is the case you may not have much say in 'where'- he will have to be placed where its appropriate.

I very much doubt anything much will change until after a negative covid test.