Does dad need sectioned or nursing home

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Being sectioned isn’t a bad thing. It’ll make the doctors responsible for your dad for 28 days and you can still argue for him being sent to a care/nursing home after that. My dad was treated the same as any other patient while he was sectioned, he just couldn’t leave the hospital - but that was what I wanted for him anyway. Like your dad he was not safe at home. And, like you, I’d been fighting and getting nowhere with getting the right care in place.

Sectioning was the best thing that could have happened for us and I suspect it will be for you too - especially if it happens while your dad is already in hospital.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Haldol (haloperidol) is a pretty heavy drug! If he needs that and/or risperidone to keep him calm then he really does need to be sectioned. I honestly think it's the only way they are going to assess him properly - in all his glory! - and be able to sort out all the meds he's on, what he should be on and what he shouldn't be on.

The situation with meds from the chemist, meds from the hospital and meds you're asked to bring from home is just ridiculous. There's no agreement about what he should be taking and you're not being listened to. A proper new assessment under section is the way to go...

Thinking of you - I would have hit someone by now so well done for not doing!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I think it might be trial and error to get what is the right medication for your dad. What he's been on while you've been looking after him hasn't seemed ideal, so I guess it'll take some time to get it right. Let's hope that happens sooner rather than later.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
He WILL be moved on to a more appropriate placement quite quickly- they will continue to monitor him, and play around with his medication for a while yet, to stabilise him. Try not to get too involved. They have his prescription, let them deal with it.. risperdrone might not be working now, in conjunction with the over the counter meds you have given him. Let them sort it out.

You cant expect a best interests meeting at the drop of a hat- no one will have formed a picture of him yet, and wont want to base decisions on the way he was when he was admitted as a baseline

I'll say it again - Its the hardest thing you'll ever do, but please STEP BACK & STAY CALM.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
I know in our local hospital it is policy that patients can only take in their own meds in the original boxes and definitely not dosette boxes. Even when my OH had treatment at a private hospital last year (NHS bed) he had to take things in their original boxes. They won't even accept plain white boxes with the pharmacy label, it has to be the product box.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
its true all meds got to be in original boxes. the other thing is make sure they have the correct prescription on the box as my gp forgot to update the dose which was higher than the label. they have to go by the label level

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Haldol (haloperidol) is a pretty heavy drug! If he needs that and/or risperidone to keep him calm then he really does need to be sectioned. I honestly think it's the only way they are going to assess him properly - in all his glory! - and be able to sort out all the meds he's on, what he should be on and what he shouldn't be on.

The situation with meds from the chemist, meds from the hospital and meds you're asked to bring from home is just ridiculous. There's no agreement about what he should be taking and you're not being listened to. A proper new assessment under section is the way to go...

Thinking of you - I would have hit someone by now so well done for not doing!
I felt like it at times believe me they are bullys up there some nurse ok some are passive aggressive bullys

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Today i went been there since 2 pm out at 6 pm nobody told me to leave after a hour i just stayed
Well im exhausted and feeling really sad he was a nightmare when i arrived he was being followed about by a student nurse
He has a massive bruise on hes arm he was so so restless today I suspect the psychiatrist i spoke to on the phine meddled with hes prescription again as when i asked hes on risperdrone 1 mg only no halidol he was yesterday n wensday only sleeping tabs

He as pulling the next bed mens shoes from
Under the bed trying to get into hes bed when he went toilet opened hes draw to chuck old sandwich box in
Was shouting and swearing at times i bought in sandwich bananas drink n biscuits he rifled through my bag took out all my stuff and squashed my phone charger into the jaffa cake through the drink out tipped the banana into hes socks threw a bit of tea into the filing cabinet on walk about ward tryed getting inti the dr office hes even more confused in there than ever and the nurses /hca assistant keep saying get into bed /sit in chair hes used to walking 2 miles x 3 times a day intild them he is not sick like the other patients he wont sleep hes ok to walk about the corridor as long as hes not harming noone and with someone its not fair to make him sit or lie in a bed ?i asked the dr who i spoke to yesterday if i could spk to her she bought me round the corner ( with my dad hot on my heels wearing my coat over hes hospital pyjamas ) and said actually we worried about your mental health do u want the crisis line felt like laughing sarcastically i said don’t worry im not going top myself i nearly did that two yrs ago Nobody gave a hoot
I said just want to know if my dad is been given the omperzole as its making me anxious she replied all sarcastic yes he is then stormed off .
i kept asking to spk to hes nurse then nobody getting bck to me also a best interest meeting is being arranged for tiesday ive not been given no time it is and because of short notice im pretty sure the dr /our mental health worker whos know us since feb sw etc will not be at the meeting ?on top of that before i left a nurse gave him the omperzole which is landsperzole not sure how its spelt they not administering it properly dropping it and swissing it water i said no its meant to be left on tongue n swallowed in water another thing i have to pull them up
its a ongoing nightmare
There was a student nurse there i said what's the problem with the nurses here they are so rude short n abrupt she said i know
I was concerned as my dad has no calming medication planned i feel very sorry for the health care worker n fellow ward men n my dad so unfair
Nobody will get any peace
i again wanted to spk to earlier dr but told me ive given you 10 minutes earlier i cant talk no more literally so so rude i only spk with them briefly interrupted by other nurses
I asked another dr and she checked hes file n said no only sleeping tabs its going be a night of mayhem
They were happy today to let me stay n deal with my dad but thres a real atmosphere of dirty looks as i walk about and i can tell my dad is really annoying them ☹️

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Its the hardest thing you are ever going to have to do , but you need to step back. Step back and let them find out a) what he's like and b) what he needs.

They will HAVE to manage him while you are not there. They will find out how much supervision he needs.

Now is the time that you need to be the strongest you have ever been, strong in the resolve that they need to sort this out and place him somewhere safe, sectioned of nessesary, or in a nursing home.

If you roll over and take him home again in a couple of days , you'll have to go through all this again.

Be strong, stand your ground
Yes your right

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
I have to say I agree with @Jessbow . Your situation is not sustainable @deepetshopboy .

My dad was taken to hospital and sectioned while he was there. It was the best thing that could’ve happened for both of us. Dad had no idea he’d been sectioned, it was done with my agreement as his attorney, and he went straight from the hospital to an EMI carehome for a 4 week assessment period which gave the professionals the chance to see how bad he really was and gave me time to take stock.

I did have to stand my ground as they kept trying to send dad home. When I refused to allow this I was told that if i didn’t take him they’d section him. Knowing that a section 2 would make them responsible for dad and unable to get rid of him I leapt at the chance even though it does sound a bit scary..
Thats what sw saying you dont have to have him in a care home if you dont want but whats the alternative ? I'm
Not getting meds to calm him im run ragged going drop im
The source and get the brunt of hes aggressive behaviour
The neighbors in fact the whole st must be exhausted
The flat is getting full of wee
Im desperate trying to clean it /cook laundry medication shopping walking him 5 times a day etc erc no human being could do what i did not possible
I cant contain or control him in the flat he’s shouting outside
No life for me I told the police id have a better life in death row

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Yor mental health is about a lot more than topping yourself.

if you come across as agitated and angry, they will suggest you contact mental health agencies.

PLEASE leave them to get on with it. have a rest, You really dont need to be there for 4 hours at a time. He's safe. take step back.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
How are things now? was he sectioned? Has he been moved? Hope he settles quickly
No not yet still in hospital still on ame medication risperdrone
Bothering the other patients nurses getting fed up and now all weekend secruity guard looking after him ie putting him to bed as no nurses about skeleton staff
Up all night
Walking corridor
Best interest meeting tomorrow dreading it

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Stand your ground @deepetshopboy you cannot look after your dad anymore. He needs more than you can give.
It does seem that way.

If he is pcing all night they will have noted that. They will be trying to establish a base line of 'where he is at' and will form a plan from there.

it might be that they have brought in a male security guard because he responds better to a male. How do you know he put him to bed?

What is worrying you about the best interest meeting? Letting go? Yes that side of it IS hard, but sometimes has to be done.
Stay calm & try not to argue with their findings