Does change in season affect change in mood?

Discussion in 'Younger people with dementia and their carers' started by Sarahdun, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    Interrupted night last night. First in a long time. OH (eoAD) angry and stomping around the house around 4am. This time I ignored it, pretended to be asleep, and praised him when eventually he returned to bed around 5.30. Hoping this is a one off and not a build up to the mid night rages we had earlier this year. He has been more than usually agitated and unhappy over the last week or so. Is this connected to the days getting shorter? Evenings always the worst time.

2. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Change of clocks always affecting my Ma. Sometimes not until a few days later, just when you had thought you had got away with it she would start to get anxious and fretty and quite difficult. Of course it brings the evenings in much earlier so routine went up the spout and it was really hard work to get it back on track until the spring! Some people have found that putting all the lights on (and daylight bulbs) as soon as dusk comes delays the sundowning effect - it didn't work for us though:(
    Good luck xx

3. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Beginning to think this myself because the last few weeks my mum has been doing and saying things that have not been since last year, I checked back in my diary and its all there. evening in and out of bed has returned too, every night.

4. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    Thanks for the comments. Good to be in good company. I have no solutions, but grateful for any suggestions. OH tends to turn on all the lights anyway, maybe this is the reason.