Does anyone know if Alzheimer's affects the sense of smell?

white orchid

Aug 29, 2011
Have not been on here for a while as my Mother has been pretty good lately. Just recently my mother has had an aversion to smells such as washing up liquid, soaps and other everyday things. My Father has tried numerous things to help her with this but to no avail. She has also become obsessed with going to the toilet when they go out. I experienced this first hand on a trip to the supermarket today, no sooner had we arrived she was wanting to go, half way round she said she needed to go again. she went about 3 times in an hour. When we got home she did not go at all for 2 hours, just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience with this.

My Father has said that she has become very difficult to take out as they always have to go to the toilet so many times. She seems to be fine when she is in other peoples houses just going out in public seems to be the problem.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had the above problems and how they deal with it.

Many thanks :)

nikky

Dec 5, 2008
canada
Hi White Orchid
My MiL had these symptoms, her sense of smell changed and whenever we went out we always had toilet issues. It reminded me of when my children were small always wanting to see other peoples toilets :) with MiL she never wanted to be caught short or just wanted to see that there was one. She had control of the situation as she knew we wouldn't let her wet herself! For her it was a control issue and as her illness progressed it became less of an issue. But it did get bad, even at home for a while, we put a broken sign on the toilet door after she had been to reduce the obsessive behaviour, that worked for us, she was making herself sore. If its not too much of a problem don't worry too much. We did have a couple of scences in shops that wouldn't let us use their toilet but to be truthful it did the store more harm than good as people were disgusted that an old lady couldn't use their loo!

Not sure if this helps but i understand where you are coming from :)

Have not been on here for a while as my Mother has been pretty good lately. Just recently my mother has had an aversion to smells such as washing up liquid, soaps and other everyday things. My Father has tried numerous things to help her with this but to no avail. She has also become obsessed with going to the toilet when they go out. I experienced this first hand on a trip to the supermarket today, no sooner had we arrived she was wanting to go, half way round she said she needed to go again. she went about 3 times in an hour. When we got home she did not go at all for 2 hours, just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience with this.

My Father has said that she has become very difficult to take out as they always have to go to the toilet so many times. She seems to be fine when she is in other peoples houses just going out in public seems to be the problem.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had the above problems and how they deal with it.

Many thanks :)

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I've read that the loss of, or deterioration in, the sense of smell can be a symptom of dementia. The usual caveat applies though - it's also common as people become elderly. As is wanting to visit the toilet frequently!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
In the early stages, I found my mother would want to go to the toilet all the time. I felt she did it when she wanted to get out of the situation she was in.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi White Child

I’ve had Mixed dementia with Alzheimer’s for now almost nine years and over that span of time my sense of smell and my sense of taste have both slowly deteriorated, I always used to enjoy spicy foods but now when my wife Sumi is cooking I can’t even stand the smell of the many spices used as they make me feel sick and quiet often when she is eating an Indonesian meal I have to go into another room to get away from the smell and when we go round the local market I have to cover my nose and mouth from the array smells drifting around in the enclosed market air.

And “YES” I also have the (I must go to the toilet ‘NOW’) problem which always seems to happen when we go out shopping even though Sumi always makes sure that I go to the toilet just before we leave the house, normally our first stop is the bank and I immediately head straight to the toilet, then once at the supermarket I have to go at least 2-3 times which I do by myself and leave Sumi shopping but then the problem arises that when I return I wander around the supermarket trying to find her even though she has said to me (I will wait right here for you)

Like your Mum once at home I’m OK and I think that’s because we feel secure within our own home as we know that the toilet is always close by, but when you are out shopping then the mind can go into a panic of (Where’s the toilet, where’s the toilet I must go NOW) and unfortunately I would say that there’s no way of overcoming the problem apart from being extremely reassuring and telling your mum not to get anxious and try keep talking to her to take her mind of the problem as Sumi does with me

SueENG

Feb 5, 2009
Loss of smell

My mum who is 83 and has been diagnosed for 6 years now, for many years complained about a loss of smell. (I am now paranoid about smell and always rejoice even when I experience unpleasant smells!) She also used to complain about rianitis (narrowing of nasal tubes, this may or may not be relevant?)

I think the constant wishing to go to the loo - could be a urinary infection - or the fact that they don't want to be caught short and cannot remember the last time they went - so to be certain they end up going many times. We all like to make sure we have been before leaving the house and I think this could be why dementia sufferers go so often.)

Mum also now has very sensitive skin and will go 'ouch' at the slightest touch, perhaps the bladder also becomes sensitive and makes person feel that they need the loo?

white orchid

Aug 29, 2011
Hi White Orchid
My MiL had these symptoms, her sense of smell changed and whenever we went out we always had toilet issues. It reminded me of when my children were small always wanting to see other peoples toilets :) with MiL she never wanted to be caught short or just wanted to see that there was one. She had control of the situation as she knew we wouldn't let her wet herself! For her it was a control issue and as her illness progressed it became less of an issue. But it did get bad, even at home for a while, we put a broken sign on the toilet door after she had been to reduce the obsessive behaviour, that worked for us, she was making herself sore. If its not too much of a problem don't worry too much. We did have a couple of scences in shops that wouldn't let us use their toilet but to be truthful it did the store more harm than good as people were disgusted that an old lady couldn't use their loo!

Not sure if this helps but i understand where you are coming from :)

Thankyou so much for your reply. I remember as a child always wanting to inspect the loo's. I will relay this to my father. I did wonder if she may have a water infection but when we got back home she was absolutely fine Thank you again. :)

white orchid

Aug 29, 2011
In the early stages, I found my mother would want to go to the toilet all the time. I felt she did it when she wanted to get out of the situation she was in.

Thank you that makes sense to me now, it is only when she is out oif her comfortable surroundings that mum needs the loo. I will try a different tactic with her when we are out. :)

white orchid

Aug 29, 2011
My mum who is 83 and has been diagnosed for 6 years now, for many years complained about a loss of smell. (I am now paranoid about smell and always rejoice even when I experience unpleasant smells!) She also used to complain about rianitis (narrowing of nasal tubes, this may or may not be relevant?)

I think the constant wishing to go to the loo - could be a urinary infection - or the fact that they don't want to be caught short and cannot remember the last time they went - so to be certain they end up going many times. We all like to make sure we have been before leaving the house and I think this could be why dementia sufferers go so often.)

Mum also now has very sensitive skin and will go 'ouch' at the slightest touch, perhaps the bladder also becomes sensitive and makes person feel that they need the loo?

Thank you, My mum does have allegeries to most things and always has had hence she cannot take any of the medication that has been prescribed for her as she always has an adverse reaction the last one putting her in hospital. My father said he would just have to take everything that comes now as he cannot bear the thought of her going in hospital again.
Thank you for your reply I will send on these tips to him, he can only try. :)

white orchid

Aug 29, 2011
Hi White Child

I’ve had Mixed dementia with Alzheimer’s for now almost nine years and over that span of time my sense of smell and my sense of taste have both slowly deteriorated, I always used to enjoy spicy foods but now when my wife Sumi is cooking I can’t even stand the smell of the many spices used as they make me feel sick and quiet often when she is eating an Indonesian meal I have to go into another room to get away from the smell and when we go round the local market I have to cover my nose and mouth from the array smells drifting around in the enclosed market air.

And “YES” I also have the (I must go to the toilet ‘NOW’) problem which always seems to happen when we go out shopping even though Sumi always makes sure that I go to the toilet just before we leave the house, normally our first stop is the bank and I immediately head straight to the toilet, then once at the supermarket I have to go at least 2-3 times which I do by myself and leave Sumi shopping but then the problem arises that when I return I wander around the supermarket trying to find her even though she has said to me (I will wait right here for you)

Like your Mum once at home I’m OK and I think that’s because we feel secure within our own home as we know that the toilet is always close by, but when you are out shopping then the mind can go into a panic of (Where’s the toilet, where’s the toilet I must go NOW) and unfortunately I would say that there’s no way of overcoming the problem apart from being extremely reassuring and telling your mum not to get anxious and try keep talking to her to take her mind of the problem as Sumi does with me

So nice of you to reply, thank you. I do think my Mum's is insecurity now after reading several posts. My Mum now has sugar in everything after being a person who would never have sugar in or on anything. As a result of this she has put on a tremendous amount of weight which my father is trying to shift to no avail. Whilst in the supermarket my Mum was like a child when we reached the checkout and saw all the chocolate and sweets and quickly bundled some into the trolly.
My father has had to change the washing up liquid, soaps and cannot even where his favourite aftershave anymore as she says she hates the smell. he is very respective of how she feels and deals with the changes as they come.

Thank you so much for your reply. :)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I am so interested that the loss of sense of smell is a feature of AD. I noticed this with my husband and also that he seemed to prefer highly seasoned foods which is a new thing. It is almost as if his food choices are going back to his youth.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
It has to be said that countless aspects/factors from our pre dementia days do change and some more drastically than others, but as we all know dementia has an effect on people in many different ways and at various stages of the illness you can’t always draw parallels...

By the way (White Orchid) sorry for the mistake and typing ‘white child’

Also I know myself that always wanting something sweet can be another problem with people who have dementia “BUT” and there’s always a BUT with anything to do with this illness! Have you had your Mum tested for Sugar Diabetes as always wanting something sweet and always wanting the toilet are also a signs of diabetes which is how they found out that I also have type 2 diabetes, it’s worthwhile asking your doctor for a blood test just for peace of mind