Does anyone know anything about this?

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Lynne, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Lynne

Lynne Registered User

Jun 3, 2005
    Suffolk,England
    At a meeting this week of our local Alz Soc. Support Group, the guest was a Social Worker, to respond to queries & questions (Brave man!).

During discussions about what does or doesn't need to be declared when filling in forms for care home fees - Respite or permanent - this chap let slip that Attendance Allowance income will, in some future date (relatively soon), become part of the means tested funds during assessments for various benefits. Up to now they have not been considered part of the means test process.

I don't want to cause alarm but can anyone (mods?) throw any light on this please? Obviously the implications for those of us dependant only on benefits could be serious.

2. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    I reckon it would be better to call the Alzheimer's Society Help Line.

I don't know anything about it and they should - and if they don't and it is going to happen, then they need to know about it, so your information may be very helpful to them.

3. lesmisralbles

lesmisralbles Account Closed

Nov 23, 2007
    Ye God's, let it not be so

If that happen's, what will we do?
    Barb & Ron

4. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    So to clarify: AA will still not be a means-tested benefit BUT will be considered as income when other means tested benefits are calculated?

5. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Lynne, thanks for flagging this up.

Certainly something that could affect us all. We do need clarification. Always worrying when someone, as in this instance At a meeting this week of our local Alz Soc. Support Group, the guest was a Social Worker, to respond to queries & questions (Brave man!).

So often something is said at a meeting that we do not query at the time. Indeed I am surprised at times that we even manage to take anything in, the pressure most of us are under, at any given time.

Look forward to some answers.