Does anyone have experience of this......

poppy999

Jun 3, 2008
Hi, my mother has alzheimers and one of the symptoms that is really bad for her and affects her greatly is what she calls a 'fuzzy head. Her description is that everything spins round and round and her head feels very 'fuggy'. This is what causes her to have a bad day, so much so that the other day, she said she couldnt do anything as everything was spinning and spinning.
I asked her CPN whether he had come across this symptom before and he said he hadn't. So my question is, does anyone know of this or had experience of this, being an alzheimers symptom?

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Poppy,

I have moved this to the main support area where you will get more replies.

There are some members here who have Alzheimer's themselves, and a mist or a fog is just the way they describe it.

Vonny xx

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
[QUOTEHi, my mother has alzheimers and one of the symptoms that is really bad for her and affects her greatly is what she calls a 'fuzzy head. Her description is that everything spins round and round and her head feels very 'fuggy'. This is what causes her to have a bad day, so much so that the other day, she said she couldnt do anything as everything was spinning and spinning.QUOTE]

That is exactly what Bill says. If I ask him if he's OK he says his head is fuzzy. He can't really describe what that means. He doesn't say much about spinning now but has in the past. I think this was labyrinthitis and he was given stemetil (spelling?) for the sickness feeling which accompanied this. As I say he hasn't complained of the sickeness of spinning for some time but he does often talk about a 'fuzzy' head. When he did have the spinning head all he could do was go to bed until it passed. Sorry not much help but I was so interested to read what you wrote as I haven't heard anyone else mention this. Take care. Izzy x

ann vickers

Aug 22, 2009
cheltenham
my husband has bad head

my dave has got a head promlam only mostly pain he holds his head and rocks sometimes its suddon dr dont know what it is just said its part of alz:confused:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And my husband too, Poppy. He has always complained of a fuzzy head, a foggy head of looking through net curtains and of feeling dizzy.
I`m surprised your mother`s CPN hasn`t heard of it. Many people on this Forum have made similar observations.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Poppy,

As a person who himself has Alzheimer’s let me say that your mother is not alone with the feeling she calls the (A fuzzy head) although I say its like being in a fog, others say its like being in descending clouds or a mist, but what ever way its described it always appears to be the same feeling that we experience, it leaves us completely confused and lethargic and lost in a world of apprehension and sometimes fear, and then all we want to do is retreat from people around us.

To be honest I’m somewhat surprised her doctor did not understand her feelings of fuzzy head in relation to her Alzheimer’s since my doctor can relate to what I tell her of having the same feelings, but just as a thought has her doctor checked her blood sugar level as I also get that fuzzy feeling in the head with my sugar diabetes which makes the fuzziness from my Alzheimer’s even worse.

So I can assure you she is not alone.
Barry

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Poppy, the feeling that everything is spinning round is a symptom of labyrinthitis, as Izzy says. I suffer from it, and it is the most terrifying feeling. In a bad attack, I can't raise my head from the pillow without being sick. It also caused motion sickness.

Now I don't know if that's what it is with your mother, or if it's a symptom of her dementia, but it wouldn't hurt to talk to her GP. There is medication that works quite quickly.

JANE1962

Apr 1, 2009
Hello Poppy, - Yes I recognise this too - my mother has a mixed diagnosis dementia - she often complains of dizzy spells and a fuzzy head. Before getting her dementia diagnosis she was told it was labyrinthitis but the treatment was ineffectual and I am convinced that it is a symptom of her dementia as it often recurs and coincides with dips in her condition and episodes of falling. Still - it might well be worth asking the Gp to consider labyrinthitis before assuming that it is related to the dementia. Good luck, Jane

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
Fuzzy Head

I have this too, most of the time. It's rather like the feeling you get the day after having had one two many glasses of wine. But I hardly drink at all, so that isn't the reason. But its a spaced out feeling that leaves me somehow not fully connected to whaat's going on around me. Not pleasant.
Love
Shelagh

jackanory

May 10, 2011
hi poppy i have dementia and do have a fuzzy feeling in my head sometimes it feell like a brick on top of my head poppy.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
hi poppy I have got Vad and some days My head feels as if its fiull of cement sometimes porridge some days baby rice and some days I dont notice it as a problem at all¬!
my Gp loves my graphic descriptions!

Cariad611

May 4, 2011
South Wales
My Dad complains of dizziness and a fuzzy head. I never realised that it was this common. The GP thought it was due to my dads beta blocker or just that he needed to eat something.

justwilliam

Jan 24, 2011
My mum has occasionally complained about something similar in her head. She has been on Aricept for 6 weeks - maybe a cause or a coincidence. If it persists, I will mention it at the doctor's at the next appointment.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
For those of you posting on this Thread since last evening, you may not have noticed that it was last running in 2009. Poppy has not been online since then.

If it helps then those of you who have recently posted may wish to start another Thread on the same subject.