Does anyone have experience of these 'dementia friendly smartphones'?

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
Hi Sue, not seen nor heard of this before but going to a dementia fair again on Thursday 19th so it may be on a stand there or someone may know of it. like the adjust volume idea if you are not getting an answer. this app would not help me as coping strategy because my most current problem is going out without my phone. 5 times in last 6 days. i need remote 'go get my phone and bring it here' app. :D

wayne x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Wayne:)

Yes it would be good to ask at the fair if you can.

i need remote 'go get my phone and bring it here' app.
:D:D snap.

I got in a tiz yesterday and couldn't find mine I usually locate it by ringing it from landline but doesn't help when you've turned the mobile off:rolleyes: found it in one of its usual homes - but brain in a state couldn't think to look there:rolleyes:

I've decided I need to write a bigger list on the front door of what I must have with me when I go out, I know it wont always work but it helps some of the time,:)

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
Hi ya Sue, I will ask, if i remember :rolleyes:. tried the list on door thing but in a not so great moment i took it down to use as guide whilst i walked around collecting bits, put it down to look somewhere and promptly 'lost' the list or at least forgot i was supposed to be following a list. Doh! so even something that obvious and easy does not work every time as you well know.i am currently getting an ever lengthening list of coping strategies that have worked for 7 years but are now failing daily. :confused:

Hope these are good days for you.

Wayne XX

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi ya Sue, I will ask, if i remember :rolleyes:. tried the list on door thing but in a not so great moment i took it down to use as guide whilst i walked around collecting bits, put it down to look somewhere and promptly 'lost' the list or at least forgot i was supposed to be following a list. Doh! so even something that obvious and easy does not work every time as you well know.i am currently getting an ever lengthening list of coping strategies that have worked for 7 years but are now failing daily. :confused:

Hope these are good days for you.

Wayne XX

Don't worry about remembering Wayne, if it happens it happens. I understand exactly as you describe. It must be :confused: how coping strategies no longer seem to work and very frustrating as you then have to assess the changes and make what new strategies you can.

My symptoms are like clockwork and know I am coming out of bad phase but will be another week til I can think properly. Managed to go for a walk today saw lots of different butterflies which was lovely but not up to too much now so have learnt it's wise not to attempt much until better phase arrives.

You sound brighter Wayne so hope you feel it too.
Sue:)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
What about a picture of a mobile phone on your door on the way out, this was a Twit suggestion.

John.

This isn't such a 'Twit' suggestion necessarily John, everyone is different and when dementia symptoms stop you being able to think for yourself a lot of the time it can be helpful to have suggestions put to you which may then trigger something that the PWD might think worth trying.

There was a thread/post recently posted by a young lad trying to help his Grandma, I wasn't up to replying at the time but felt he got quite a few negative comments to his suggestions at trying to help with reminders. What I wanted to write at the time was that I certainly could not do without reminders. However, because of the interruptions to my brain processing they don't always works so have learnt that I need to renew the reminders regularly e.g. write it on a different piece of paper, put it in a new place to keep me being able to remember things even when I am constantly forgetting. I struggle to do this because I live alone and the Grandson (forgive I can't remember the name or thread) is doing much to help his Grandma. Of course I realise that this will not work for everyone and given I am at the younger age of the spectrum I feel it is vital to put these things in place now.

So Wayne, I hope that you will find your own way of ensuring your mobile is always with you:)

Wishing all a good day
Sue:)

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Going back to some of your earlier comment Wayne where you said you took your checklist with you and left it in the wrong place. Would a small write on wipe off board that you could write the list on - keys, wallet, phone etc - and fix to the door so you could tick on way out, wipe off on way in when home? I guess that depends on remembering to remove on return.. And I speak as someone who occasionally tries to be organised by writing a shopping list but 9 times out of 10 forget to take it with me

Dothedealnow

Account Closed
Jun 4, 2016
KWaP, KWaP, KWaP

I have been using Keys, Wallet and Phone for many years and patting my jeans as I say it before I leave. KWaP, KWaP, KWaP. I only say it our loud when on own ad it sounds like a poor Jonathan Ross Impression.
No doubt I will be progressing to the list and the pictures on the door which are fine ideas.
I wonder if there is anything available that could give you a verbal reminder?
Note both android and Apple have a find phone feature even if the volume is off or I believe if your phone is off.

Dothedealnow

Account Closed
Jun 4, 2016
http://www.grandoffers.co.uk/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=205&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=130

Memo minder MOX100 installed near your front door to give you a verbal reminder before you walk out of the door without your mobile?

Dothedealnow

Account Closed
Jun 4, 2016
Android reviews of the DORO app

I have used the DORO phones but not the app. The phones are excelkent. The app on the Google play store seems to get as many bad reviews as it does good reviews. I don't think that I have ever seen this pattern of review scores of an app before so I would be sceptical ref the app.

Relm

Jan 24, 2011
Doro 580 is a disappointment

We got the Doro 580 free of charge but it is so hard to use that we don't bother trying anymore and the phone is in a drawer somewhere. We're looking for something else now but it won't be anything from Doro.

mumbasi

Sep 1, 2013
Thanks for this post Sue. Bought a Doro for my sister a couple of months ago and feel ashamed to say I have not looked at any other functions for her except the basics. So now when I have a couple of hours free (yes I know) I will look at this. I see it has an emergency button as well that when set will call preset numbers in sequence.
(Must do better!!!!!)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Purchased a DORO 508, wish I had sooner. No internet just making and receiving calls and texts. Screen is clear keys better spaced, font can be increased to large size, very neat phone. Apps = they're another language;):)