Does anyone else feel that dementia patients are seriously discriminated against

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I Don’t think their's decimation against dementia patient's from Health Professionals or Government here a newspaper article from 2011

Government launches £2m dementia awareness campaign​

This article is more than 9 years old

Department of Health advertising campaign aims to help more people to get early treatment for dementia
Gill Hitchcock
Mon 7 Nov 2011 12.15 GMT

The Department of Health (DH) has launched a £2m campaign to raise awareness of the early signs and symptoms of dementia.
The campaign, featuring television, radio and print advertisements, has been launched after a pilot in the north west, and Yorkshire and Humber NHS regions in March this year.

According to the DH, among people aged over 40 who saw or heard the pilot campaign there was a higher incidence of those who said they would go to their GP if they experienced any symptoms or ask a close relative or friend to do so.

There was also a significant increase in those believing that the earlier dementia is diagnosed, the easier it is to treat the symptoms, and that with the right treatment the symptoms can be slowed down.

The television advert tells the story of a daughter as she becomes aware that her father is struggling in situations, such as leaving pans on the hob and forgetting where his car is parked. While accepting it was a hard issue to raise with him, the message is that acting on her concerns and getting help means she can keep the father she knows for longer. Statistics from the Alzheimer's Society show that there are 750,000 people with dementia in the UK, but only 40% of these people receive a diagnosis.
The DH estimates that every general hospital has excess costs of £6m because of dementia, due to the worse outcomes for length of stay, mortality and institutionalisation. In hip fracture alone, better management of patients who also have dementia could save between £64m and £102m in England every year.

Professor Alistair Burns, national clinical director for dementia at the DH, said: "Timely early diagnosis and supportive interventions allow people to plan for the future while they still can. They have been shown to reduce care home admissions and improve the quality, not only of the life of the person with dementia, but also their family, carers and friends."

Jeremy Hughes, chief executive of the Alzheimer's Society, said: "This campaign has the potential to make a huge difference and the Alzheimer's Society is delighted to support it."

This article is published by Guardian Professional. Join the Guardian Social Care Network to receive regular emails for social workers and social care professionals.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
had the cheek to say to me well your not a trained carer
Such comments are part of the problem. For a start, even if you think it, you don't say it as a professional. They may be trained, does not mean they are competent. We all know that the state of social care funding is a hot political issue at the moment, I would like to add that our experiences of how the care system is operated, including the training and supervision of staff should also be part of the discussion and sometimes I wonder whether the CQC could be more transparent in their reviews.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Such comments are part of the problem. For a start, even if you think it, you don't say it as a professional. They may be trained, does not mean they are competent. We all know that the state of social care funding is a hot political issue at the moment, I would like to add that our experiences of how the care system is operated, including the training and supervision of staff should also be part of the discussion and sometimes I wonder whether the CQC could be more transparent in their reviews.
CQC ask to see training records and whether the staff are competent to carry them out. some training is mandatory every year and they will inspect those as well. whether someone is trained and someone is competent are 2 different issues. you can have all the training in the world but if you are not competent in following it, doesnt mean a thing. i think us carers are experienced and experts on our PWD so a lot can be learned from the unpaid carers and their wealth of experience shouldnt be dismissed just because its not written down

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
CQC ask to see training records and whether the staff are competent to carry them out. some training is mandatory every year and they will inspect those as well. whether someone is trained and someone is competent are 2 different issues. you can have all the training in the world but if you are not competent in following it, doesnt mean a thing. i think us carers are experienced and experts on our PWD so a lot can be learned from the unpaid carers and their wealth of experience shouldnt be dismissed just because its not written down
I agree, but how do we get this message across?

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Exactly we havent read from a book got a degree or sat in a classroom we have worn the t shirt lived it breathed it gone through hell do it relentlessly each day we dont need a peice of paper to say we know about dementia ?? my dads old carer who worked for 15 yrs in care homes /looking after lots of dementia patients said i know a lot awful lot about dementia course i do ?

Hoped

May 17, 2020
There is definite lack of care in hospitals for dimentia patients as has been seen sadly all too often in the pandemic when family carers were not allowed visits leading to the demise of many dimentia suffers in hospitals and care homes. So sad.