Documenting my Father with Dementia

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
ToughKenaMan | Food, Travel, Chores and Some Fun Outdoors - After lunch at Chik Fil A, we were back on the road heading towards South Jersey to enjoy some Father / Son time together and get a few chores done as well.

You have a great rapport with your dad. It's lovely how you got him involved with watering the flowers too. I find little jobs for my husband to do in the garden - it's good to be outside and doing meaningful tasks - and a great way to use up surplus energy :)

My Father's Obsession with Counting Ford Vehicles

The Ford Vehicle logo is deeply embedded in my Father's brain...so much so that anytime he see's a Ford he will count them and say with enthusiasm, "Ford"!!! The reason for this is because all his life he mostly owned and drove Ford vehicle's. This is one of the few memories still fresh in his mind.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Your reference to your father's strong link to Fords made me smile. With my husband it is one particular Ford that will get him enthused - the Ford Anglia :)

Any reference to it will have him saying how it was his first ever car. He'd bought a second hand one in the 70s to learn to drive on when he was still living in Scotland. His dad was teaching him to drive in it, but not showing a lot of patience. On the first 'lesson' there was a bit of a humdinger of an argument at which point my husband got out the car, many miles from home and walked home.

He never got back in that car again and never did learn to drive. Shortly afterwards he got a job in London, moved down here and didn't need a car!

In hindsight I am glad he didn't learn to drive - it saved me from ever having to have that awful conversation about giving up the driving once dementia took hold.

Ford Anglias are no longer on the road but any time they crop up in an old tv series, film or reminiscence book it brings out the tale of the disastrous driving lesson and long walk home :D

Your reference to your father's strong link to Fords made me smile. With my husband it is one particular Ford that will get him enthused - the Ford Anglia :)

Any reference to it will have him saying how it was his first ever car. He'd bought a second hand one in the 70s to learn to drive on when he was still living in Scotland. His dad was teaching him to drive in it, but not showing a lot of patience. On the first 'lesson' there was a bit of a humdinger of an argument at which point my husband got out the car, many miles from home and walked home.

He never got back in that car again and never did learn to drive. Shortly afterwards he got a job in London, moved down here and didn't need a car!

In hindsight I am glad he didn't learn to drive - it saved me from ever having to have that awful conversation about giving up the driving once dementia took hold.

Ford Anglias are no longer on the road but any time they crop up in an old tv series, film or reminiscence book it brings out the tale of the disastrous driving lesson and long walk home :D

Thats interesting. Maybe because of my age but I dont think I ever heard of a Ford Anglias. Im gonna have to google that one;)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My dad had a Ford Classic exactly like this one. I thought it was so smart!

Attachments

• 1200px-Ford_Classic_four_door_registered_May_1962_1498_cc.jpg
    1200px-Ford_Classic_four_door_registered_May_1962_1498_cc.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 676
ToughKenaMan | LIVE Talk Radio with Ken Keene Jr

Steve Davis of radio station WELD AM in West Virginia goes one on one with Ken Keene Jr. In this radio interview, Ken opens up about the video series, The Journey with ToughKenaMan and also shares pivotal events responsible for bringing him to where he is at today with his Father.

Stimulate More than Just Taste Buds??

Our Special Visit to a place my Father and I would frequent on a daily basis for nearly three consecutive years would turn out to be VERY SWEET but a little bitter as well. Would the food do more than just stimulate his taste buds or would this visit be no different than if it was his first time??

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hope he's ok.
Have to admit, that brought a tear, when I saw his reluctance to hand over his wallet, and all those pens! That was so like my late husband! :D He always had a bunch of pens, with a particular fondness for those Bic 4 colour pens! In fact, instead of the traditional rose, I dropped his last one in to his grave, before they filled it in!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513