1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Documenting my Father with Dementia

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by TheJourneyWithToughKenaMan, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Spontaneous visits and thinking outside the box will help keep things stimulated between you and your loved one diagnosed with dementia. If the thought enters your mind or the feeling enters your heart it's important to act on it and not let the moment pass you by......because this will then start creating distance and a disconnection that could ultimately be irreversible....WATCH NOW!!
    [​IMG]

2. One of the great things about going for walks is to be doing it with the one you love. It always makes me smile whenever I see my parents walking arm and arm as they did when they were teenagers.....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

3. Since admitting my Father into the Veterans Senior Center 18 months ago, there's one question that still weighs heavy on the heart whenever asked....."Are You Gonna Take Me Home??".....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

4. Is your loved one in a senior center or are you thinking about admitting your loved one?....if so, how do you or would you react when they ask to be taken home?.....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

5. Making that special connection once again with the help of music, my Father and I sing along to a meaningful song he used to sing in the house some 30+yrs ago.....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

6. Making that special connection once again with the help of music, my Father and I sing along to a meaningful song he used to sing in the house some 30+yrs ago.....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

7. All hell breaks loose after my Father sees a Ford......"There's a Ford!!...There's a Ford!!...There's a Ford!!"...The Man LOVES his Ford's...WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

8. This ongoing journey with my Father descending deeper into the many different stages of dementia has not only brought out the "Better Part of Me" but it has change my perspective on life as well.....WATCH NOW!! - [​IMG]

9. In recent weeks there have been subtle changes in behavior exhibited by my Father that have us concerned he may be entering deeper into dementia.....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]
    Im pushing the shopping cart in the laundry detergent aisle today at our local food store and my mobile phone rings. I see its the Veterans Senior Center calling. Im anticipating to hear a woman's voice. Instead of hearing the head nurse deliver some good or maybe bad news it's my Father on the other line and he says joyfully, "Hello"......I cant help but start laughing because while its great to hear him say "Hello" it's a relief to know everything is ok and he just wanted to talk to his son.

Today his memory seemed sharper than usual and although he could not see me he seemed to know vividly who I am. No sooner after answering the phone I found myself in the middle of the supermarket singing along with my Father on speaker phone, "Love is a very splendid thing".....and "Im a Drifter".......and a few other jingles we both know. Was I getting stares or odd looks from strangers?......probably....but when your Father calls you and he remembers who you are nothing else matters. Now every time I am in the laundry detergent aisle I'm gonna think about the time he and I were singing in Shop Rite. Thanks for the phone call Dad.

Subscribe to our journey and share our story: https://www.youtube.com/thejourneywithtoughkenaman

11. Making that special connection once again with the help of music, my Father and I sing along to a meaningful song he used to sing in the house some 30+yrs ago...WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]-

12. An old, worn out bench that looks to have been neglected for nearly a lifetime has been the perfect place for meeting up with my Father during the warmer months....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

13. Reflecting on recent memories and how we got to this point has raised that recurring question...."What's Next?"....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

14. Whether it be in church, at a funeral, a movie theater or anywhere for that matter....there is no predicting how my Father will act in any given scenario...WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

15. Baby Bunty

Baby Bunty Registered User

Jan 24, 2018
    I enjoyed your vidoes..you can see the love in your father's eyes.

16. Reflecting back on a time when we decided one day to take my Father to Church....and then the unexpected happen....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

17. Thank You so much for sharing. I appreciate the comment:)

18. Here is a preview snippet from an upcoming episode of "The Journey with ToughKenaMan"...WATCH NOW!![​IMG]

19. Learning to cope with his Father's fading memory, Ken Jr tries capturing those precious moments on camera to forever preserve their time together.....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]

20. The words you choose and how they're used can create a SOUND that's saved in MEMORY which can help your INTERACTION with your loved one....WATCH NOW!! [​IMG]