Documentary on 4 about Picks Disease

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Is anyone watching The Trouble With Dad? It started at 9pm on channel 4.

It's David Baddiel's documentary about his dad who has Picks Disease and their relationship.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
I watched it. It must be terribly hard caring for someone with such difficult behaviour. Badiels Dad swearing and making inappropriate remarks and the poor family where the man sang all the time. :(

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
I'm with Kassy on this. Didn't like the flippant way it was treated. Demeaning to his father and all other sufferers. Where was empathy?

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
I have it recorded and need to find a quiet time to watch it. I saw David Baddiel on Victoria Derbyshire, talking about the programme, and thought he came across as concerned and understanding towards the viewers that called in with similar problems. Maybe the jokiness is a coping mechanism. Maybe that's just the relationship he's always had with his dad? Anyway, I haven't seen the documentary yet so I probably shouldn't comment until I have!

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I've not seen it but I've read promotion for it. I get the impression that David Baddeill had a difficult relationship with his dad and now obviously this disease has been brought into the mix. The father probably doesn't understand what's happening, but his son may only be able to cope with this new relationship by using humour. As individuals we have unique relationships with our parents. This doesn't change because somebody develops dementia. After two years of my mum being in a care home I still haven't worked out whether it's a good or a bad thing to not have a real relationship with that parent beforehand.

carrieboo

Feb 1, 2016
herts uk
I watched it, I thought it was moving and considered.

The Baddeils are obviously a very 'individual' family, their father was, even pre dementia, a bit of a character. It seems to me the sons have tried, as far as possible, to continue with their normal family dynamic which involves lots of humour and swearing!

As David said at one point, (I'm paraphrasing) he wanted people to know that dementia doesn't just mean that somebody sits, mute, staring at a wall all day.

I certainly can't see how it could be demeaning to 'all other sufferers'.

I can understand that some people may not be comfortable with humour as a coping mechanism but it's certainly applied liberally in my family!

And how good it was to see three sons looking after their dad in such a loving way.

Last edited:

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I found it very well done and admired the way Colin's sons handled it and also held their hands up admitting to the difficulties. Well done on highlighting dementia. D B isn't anyone I personally watch as not to my taste but I have total respect for him including dementia in his shows to highlight the problems and talk about the unspeakable to the wider population. I'm sure he can reach an audience that perhaps wouldn't sit down and watch a medical doumentary.
There was a poignant moment at the end when Colin told his sons he loved them in his own unique manner. I can appreciate how that strange compliment meant so much.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I also thought it was moving . There were aspects I did not agree with like telling Collin over and over again about his wife's passing. They also asked their dad too many questions . They were very loving with their dad though despite a difficult relationship .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
Good or bad if more people are aware hopefully more people will understand?
It also shows that everyone is dealing with it in their own way, no right and no wrong.....
“YOU CAN’T REALLY UNDERSTAND ANOTHER PERSON’S EXPERIENCE UNTIL YOU’VE WALKED A MILE IN THEIR SHOES.”

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I found it very well done and admired the way Colin's sons handled it and also held their hands up admitting to the difficulties. Well done on highlighting dementia. D B isn't anyone I personally watch as not to my taste but I have total respect for him including dementia in his shows to highlight the problems and talk about the unspeakable to the wider population. I'm sure he can reach an audience that perhaps wouldn't sit down and watch a medical doumentary.
There was a poignant moment at the end when Colin told his sons he loved them in his own unique manner. I can appreciate how that strange compliment meant so much.

Selinacroft's comment sums up how I feel having watched the programme.

I found it moving and thought that it showed the real love these brothers had for their dad despite hiow difficult he had been even before dementia.

I liked one phrase he used, 'the dark rainbow of dementia'.

It was heartbreaking seeing the other families too., especially the relatively young lady and her daughter.

All in all I think he has done well to raise the profile of dementia and that it's not just about forgetting things.

carrieboo

Feb 1, 2016
herts uk

I also thought it was good that he used his live appearances to have conversations with members of the audience who had similar experiences, it was more of a conversation than a classic 'stand up'.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'm on the same planet as you, I thought the kids sitting there getting dad to swear then giggling their head off was a disgrace, if I saw a carer (paid) treating someone with AZ like that I'd be straight in the office complaining.
Basing his comedy show on his father's illness is just tasteless too, I can't believe the audience laughed about the rape comment either.
It's nothing new for DB, one of his earlier acts was about his late mother's sex life. She came here as a refugee from Nazi Germany and the most interesting thing he wanted to tell people was that she had an affair/s.
K

Last edited by a moderator:

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
I had first my grandmother, then my mother, and now my husband with dementia.
As a registered nurse I worked in a nursing home with demented geriatrics for over two years.
Never would it have been appropriate to behave in this way with my patients, and with family members there were, and will be, no times for tasteless humour.
Humour and laughter are welcome, but with respect please.