Doctor’s check up and evaluation

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
As is normal for me Friday was my two weekly doctor’s check up (every two weeks you might be thinking) but yes that’s the way it is out here in Indonesia as the doctor insists on monitoring my condition regularly so she is aware of any changes, to be honest I don’t know if this time frame is good or not as I don’t know how regularly any of you at home have to go for check ups?

I was feeling very relaxed as she casually chatted away to my wife and directly with me about how my condition had been over the past two weeks and wanting to know all the details of how I kept myself occupied, then it was onto the couch for the actual medical check which I was quiet pleased about as my blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides are still all on par, although it appears that my deep tone reflexes have become very weak which didn’t surprise me as I do find it far more difficult to walk and maintain my balance now, but as she examined me I casually said ‘Oh’ I see you have a put up a curtain screen I don’t remember seeing that before! To which she replied (you think it’s new but it’s been there for the past four years that you have been coming to see me) ‘Whoops I thought’ obviously my observation skills are dwindling!

Then as we sat back around her desk out of the blue she decided to give me a test, first drawing a clock with the numbers and showing a set time, great I got full marks! Then the normal test of pointing a pencil at different items asking what is this, again not to bad as only a little hesitation (remember I have to find the answers in Indonesian not English) then she asked me to repeat a few sentences (In English) again ‘Whoops what did you say as I’ve already forgotten!
Then came the real blow when she asked what is 100 minus 7 (Long pause as my brain went into overdrive) ‘Ah yes 93’ great she replied now minus that by 7 again! Oh dear, Oh dear! I could feel myself becoming more agitated as my hands started to wring together and I could see my dear wife biting her lip in an effort not to answer for me as she gently squeezed my hands saying don’t worry my love its not the end of the world!
I was totally lost as I could not answer the doctor’s question of what should be just simple subtraction mathematics which makes me feel I should go back to primary school!

But overall she said I was doing fine and not to get anxious about the maths.

For those of you who are interested here are some simple tests for the memory and recognition that I devised so my wife can occasionally test me at home.

Just click on this link to download the words document to you own computer

View attachment Test your own memory of telling the time.doc

Last edited by a moderator:

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Barry,

Well it sounds to me as if you are doing really well! :) The fact you managed the first subtraction is great and the fact you can still speak in Indonesian and English is phenomenal.

It's really good that you have such regular appointments. I wonder if we could get the NHS to do fortnightly check-ups on their patients :D:rolleyes:

I think you are going great guns Barry, keep it up :)

Vonny xxx

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Barry,
Fortnightly check ups in the UK? no chance,my wife has the Memory clinic every six months if she is lucky,our doctor has no interest in her because she has AZ and the doctor knows nothing about that illness!
Best wishes,
John.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Barry

I can remember those tests including the 100 minus 10 and so on.

Before the medication I confess that I could not get very far, and these days I do a little better occasionally.

I have often laid in bed on a night when I could not sleep, and have tried to get all the way back from 100 taking away 7 at a time.

I have yet to finish this as I get totally lost.

Best Wishes

Ken

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Barry,

What is the healthcare system like in Indonesia? Do they have anything like the NHS or do you have to pay privately for treatment?

Take care,

Sandy

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, as for the health system in Indonesia well there isn’t anything like the NHS here we have to pay for everything in terms of treatment and medications, the private doctor’s fee is not that bad which works out to about £3-50 per visit but the medication I think is more expensive than at home as its imported, my Aricept costs me about £80 a month then there is all the other medications on top of that.

In general the heath care is not that bad but it’s based on a sliding scale of what a person can afford so it’s a bit like buying a train ticket if you have to go into hospital for treatment or an operation since it’s rated as (First class, second class, third class, and economy!) so the quality of your treatment can differ significantly, but what I can say is very good is that if your ill with even the slightest complaint you can go immediately to the hospital or one of the many clinics without any appointments, OK you have to wait maybe an hour or so but all patients will be seen, given a diagnoses and medication at an affordable cost so the system is in line with the different economic situations in any part of the country.

Personally I think I am very fortunate as from the moment I was diagnosed with AD and mixed dementia my doctor immediately put me onto Aricept which I’m convinced has been beneficial to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455