Do you miss old friends ?

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

We went into town on Thursday afternoon and was walking through the square when i heard an old friend shout "HEY NORRMS! Is that you? When i turned round i saw my old line manager standing behind me, he was my reason for becoming a manager (well, that and the money Ha Ha) It was so good to see him.

We chatted for a little and tried to swap moblie nunbers but i failed miserably. He jokingly said to me "Derr! give it to me " As he inputed my number into his phone i mouthed at Elaine very quietly "He doesnt know about the Alzheimers" After, he said he would ring me and pick me up to take him and me out for a Beer (coke for me !!LOL) like he used to when i first retired from work because of heart failure, later that day or definatley friday.

He then complimented me on how well i looked considring the diagnosis and prognosis eight years ago. At this point i said thank you so much and then went on to tell him about my Alzheimers diagnosis two years ago. His eyebrows furowed and he looked puzzled. "Dont worry Norrms" he said, i forget things loads of times, how did they come to such a daft diagnosis? he smiled nervously as he said it.

When i explained that i had an MRI scan then a perfusion scan with a report written up by a neruoligist he seemed embarrased, dont know why? Our conversation didnt last much lionger after that.

He hasnt rung or even texted yet

Can`t think why, Can you ???

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Norrms, hello
I agree totally with Izzy, it's very much his loss (not just because coke is cheaper than a pint :D)
Kind regards, Jo

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
i agree with Izzy and Jo his loss but his still got time wish i could take you for a pint and Elaine of course looking to have a few days away with mum so you never know love larivy

JayGee

Aug 23, 2009
kilmarnock ayrshire
Hi Norrms
Some friends do seem to drift away - don't they?
Maybe they think it's catching!!
Don't they know in times like these we need our friends .
love June

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Who cares.....

... as others have said it's his loss. One of the things I dread about this place is losing people I've gotten to know, and yet one day I know it will be my turn to move on too. I guess (hope:eek:) someone will miss me lol. At least our lives will have been enriched, and our paths eased by having known each other here, and that can't be a bad thing even if it doesn't last forever.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Norrms,

All I can add is to say that your not alone... as I have the same thing done to me, but what really gets to me is when people then turn round and say (Oh... why didn't you think to phone me!!!) :confused::confused:

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Just to say....

... don't think it's Alzeimhers it tends to be anything that causes discomfort, disability in general, bereavement, relationship breakdowns. Sadly some people are stuck in what I refer to as their own little goldfish bowls. They can not deal with anything beyond that little environment they are in - sad really.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
very sad

Thank you all so much, really sad today as i so enjoyed meeting my good "Mate" again, ah well, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Pure ignorance Norms !! People cope with hearing you have a physical disease so much better than a mental one.

Mum lost all of her friends bar one (Adrienne) over 8 yrs of AZ.She came to see mum every couple of weeks without fail.When mum passed away a couple of weeks ago , i sent her flowers to thank her for her loyalty to mum and support to me...she merely said " she was my friend and nothing would ever change that".....lovely to think there are still some wonderful, true people out there.

Chin up NOrms .....and hugs xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Norrms, don't let this bug you. I've got a feeling you will see him again, but if you don't, well c'est la vie.. he is the loser, not you.

The thing is, he may have had some genuine reason for not contacting you, or (pause for comic effect)... he may have FORGOTTEN!

I would wait until next Friday and then text HIM and say 'when are you going to buy me my coke you old skinflint?' Or words to that effect. If HE has a memory problem he'll be very grateful to hear from you, I'm sure.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
I wish

Thank you, problem is he put my number in his phone but i didnt do the same !! Err Forgot too :eek::eek: Still as you say, will give it a coule of days and if not ? Well, i like to think i have as many friends as i need on here, lots of love, Norrms and familyxxxxxxxxxxx

bigtom

Sep 19, 2009
bolton lancs
Hi norm,give your mate time to get his head round it may have stunned him to learn you have alzheimers.as you are such a larger than life guy, iam planning to come down to torquay on the 3rd of july all being well and i will be pleased to treat you to a large coke.((and jd)):p:) take care norm and a hug to elaine

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thanks Tom

Cheers mate !! I will give it a lttle more time, look forward to seeing you in july, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxx