do you have to re-pay local authority funded care?

rbrown

Jan 22, 2015
my family is baffled by this, my grandfather is paying a contribution to his care costs at the moment and the local council is paying the rest of the fees, but people have led us to believe that we are going to owe the council this money later on is that correct?

he does have capital but it hasn't been included in his financial assessment despite us being honest about it, it wasn't regarded first as my grandmother lived there but she's passed away but the assessment was made after that so I'm completely confused as to why it hasn't been regarded.

It'd just be good to know we're not going to get dumped on with a big bill out of the blue.

Sorry to be a bother.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
my family is baffled by this, my grandfather is paying a contribution to his care costs at the moment and the local council is paying the rest of the fees, but people have led us to believe that we are going to owe the council this money later on is that correct?

he does have capital but it hasn't been included in his financial assessment despite us being honest about it, it wasn't regarded first as my grandmother lived there but she's passed away but the assessment was made after that so I'm completely confused as to why it hasn't been regarded.

It'd just be good to know we're not going to get dumped on with a big bill out of the blue.

Sorry to be a bother.

Hi rbrown

All I can say was a mother was in a nursing home and the father was in the bungalow so it could not be included in the means test.
Sadly the father passed away about 3 weeks before the mother.
The house was willed to the daughter and the daughter moved in to her parents property straight after the mother's death.
The LA said that was fine but she would get a bill towards the 3 weeks care.
She got the bill several months later and as it was under £1,000 she did not dispute it.
It looks as if the LA will come back for the money for the cost of care after your grandmother's death but not before your grandmother's death.
I am assuming there are no other owner's of the property.

William

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...it wasn't regarded first as my grandmother lived there but she's passed away but the assessment was made after that..."

"...It looks as if the LA will come back for the money for the cost of care after your grandmother's death but not before your grandmother's death...."

No idea except that the LA are just tardy or maybe waiting for probate.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I suspect nitram is correct: the LA are waiting for probate.

I think it would be reasonable to assume that your grandfather (not you) will be expected to pay for his care back dated to the point when he became (I assume) sole owner of the property your grandmother was living in.

If the situation is different (as in he's not the sole owner for example) perhaps you could post more details.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Nitram and Jennifer are saying the same as me in a different way.
I know the daughter got the bill from the LA about 10 months after the mother's death and probate came through within 3 months.
The daughter put her own house up for sale and it sold about 8 months after the mother's death.
I don't know if the LA waited for the daughters house to sell before they invoiced her or if they were just behind with their work.

William

rbrown

Jan 22, 2015
if I'm honest the only time the LA has been bothered was when they wanted some of the care costs back-dating, typical of them. But thank you for all your responses