Do you experience word-finding difficulties? Would you like to take part in research to share your views?

Kate O'Connor

Apr 21, 2022
The researcher:
My name is Kate O’Connor. I work in the NHS as a Trainee Clinical Psychologist. I am in my final year of completing a professional doctorate in the School of Psychology at the University of East London. I have received ethical approval for this research and permission to post on this forum.

About the research:

The research is interested in the stories that people with dementia who experience word-finding difficulties have to tell. People with word-finding difficulties may notice that words are often on ‘the tip of their tongue’.  Previous research has shown that this group can have limited opportunities to share their experiences.  

It is hoped that this study can provide information about your experience so that psychologists and other professionals can take these into consideration when planning services for people with dementia.  

What is involved?
Participation would involve having a conversation for up to one hour. This conversation would take place online via video call and be recorded. This would require that you already have access to a computer with a webcam, microphone, and internet access.

If you wish a friend, relative, or carer can sit-in for this conversation. I will also consider whether they have any concerns or objections to your participation in the study.

After our conversation, I will then write an anonymised written record of the conversation. This means that I will not reveal your name or identifiable information when writing about our conversation. The video recordings will only be viewed by the researcher and will be deleted upon examination of the thesis and will be stored securely until then.

You are free to decide whether or not to participate and should not feel coerced. Regardless of your decision, you will be treated with respect at all times and your decision will not affect any help or care you receive.

Further information:

If you would like further information about my research or have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Kate via e-mail on  u1945522@uel.ac.uk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba