Do we need to get dancing?

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Just read this:

Exercise and the Brain

1. Strengthens connections between brain cells.
2. Creates more synapses to expand connections.
3. Encourages new stem cells to divide and become functional neutrons in the hippocampus.
4. Elevating supply of neurotrophic factors for neuroplasticity and neurogenesis.

This all sounds great and very positive, but when I asked about exercising... I didn't get a much of a response... more of a.. Yeah if you want to!?

I believe that becoming physically and mental less active is detromental to everyone but, especially for those with dementia. In fact I think physical and mental activity should be increased, varied and as wide as possible, as soon as dementia is recognised. I think if you don't use it your lose it... and for us it's about losing our mind!

So what do you think.... should I take up Salsa? :rolleyes:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
A while back I saw a programme on the Beeb with Angela Rippon - it was about trying to delay all the health problems associated with aging, including dementia. Various aspects were discussed including diet and exercise and the general consensus was much as you have described, @Richard and Fin , regarding exercise. Angela also tried dancing but the activity that was thought to be 'best' was group table tennis! They found that it combined social interaction, co-ordination, general exercise and.... fun. For many of the participants it also involved learning something new which is also supposed to be good for the brain.

So maybe a dancing/table tennis combo whilst shouting out the scores in a new language is the way to go...

AliceA

May 27, 2016
A while back I saw a programme on the Beeb with Angela Rippon - it was about trying to delay all the health problems associated with aging, including dementia. Various aspects were discussed including diet and exercise and the general consensus was much as you have described, @Richard and Fin , regarding exercise. Angela also tried dancing but the activity that was thought to be 'best' was group table tennis! They found that it combined social interaction, co-ordination, general exercise and.... fun. For many of the participants it also involved learning something new which is also supposed to be good for the brain.

So maybe a dancing/table tennis combo whilst shouting out the scores in a new language is the way to go...

Is there a version with walking stick or walker? :):):)

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Great link Sirena.... very interesting!

The idea of being active is definitely important to everyone, but for those with dementia it could be a major benefit!

Learning something new... and co ordination skills... My son got me some juggling balls... didn't realise how difficult this is... my right hand is very weak and lacks fine motor skills, but think this may help. I'm going to keep at it... I want to juggle :D

It does have to be Salsa Nitram... it can be anything. I used to be into Northern Soul, but now I just keep going around and around in my wheelchair.... get so dizzy! o_O

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We got a dog so my husband would have a reason to walk, not for anything to do with dementia but for his heart. Several months ago, his cardiac condition went downhill a bit and he could no longer taker her out so I do.

All his doctors are not only amazed that he is still alive but still functioning fairly well. His geriatrician always says that you need to use it so you don't lose it and that my husband is a living example of that.

I have no idea of why he is still upright and breathing and why his AD is declining so slowly but everybody needs exercise so maybe it's that.

Near us there is a club that has wheelchair lawn bowls and croquet. Maybe that could be of interest to you.

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Good Morning Lawson58..

Hope he is feeling better and able to take dog out for walk!?

Finn gives me a reason to get out. Most morning, weather permitting, we get to the park about 6.. he sits on my chair and we hurtle down there and then he does his thing why I take in the quiet, peace and enjoy the moment. Best part of the day! I chase the sun... whatever time it rises, I try and meet it!

I have tried bowls and it was good fun! I did try archery, but I think they was happy to see me leave... danger to everyone! :eek:

I have a special chair, has handles on the side to push as I have problems moving a normal style wheelchair. I can go for miles, I just feel like I'm in my own little bubble!

Attachments

• Top of the Park.jpeg
    Top of the Park.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 379

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo