Do they back date attendance allowance.

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
Mum was on the lower level of AA. In Feb I filled in the form for the higher allowance and on 3rd March she went into full time care.
Finally got the letter today to say she was getting the higher allowance but from 26 June. I thought they would at least back date it to the date she went in the care home. Have the rules changed as I am sure they back dated her lower rate AA when I first claimed.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Mum was on the lower level of AA. In Feb I filled in the form for the higher allowance and on 3rd March she went into full time care.
Finally got the letter today to say she was getting the higher allowance but from 26 June. I thought they would at least back date it to the date she went in the care home. Have the rules changed as I am sure they back dated her lower rate AA when I first claimed.

I've always understood that if it is granted it is backdated to when it was applied for.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Not in this case. When you go from lower to higher rate, the rule is that you must have been in need of the extra care for six months before they up the money. They ask for this date in the form. If you said 26/12 then the higher rate will become payable from 26/06.
When you first apply for the lower rate, it's backdated to the date on the claim form.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"When you first apply for the lower rate, it's backdated to the date on the claim form."

Just to clarify this.

On first successful application the start date is either the day the DWP knew you were going to claim - receipt of letter or phone call requesting form - or they day they receive the application on a form downloaded or obtained from CAB or similar.

Note that if you ask them for a form the start date can only be a maximum of 6 weeks before they received the application.

Usually best to ring in for a form to get the start date fixed, you can download a form to fill in and discuss with CAB, AgeUK, ... and when all sorted fill in 'official' form and send off - you have 6 weeks to fine tune your answers.