Do sufferers like routine or not?

AFF

Jan 14, 2005
UK
Hi all, my pa has just gone into a home for a week because my ma can't cope alone without the help of other family members popping in. and the regular vistors are taking a weeks holiday.

anyway, he seems to have settled in after an initial bout of 'i want to go home'. but all seems ok.

my question is, do sufferes like their daily routines to be predictable or not. would going into a home for a week create some sort of prompt in his mind or make things worse?

until discovering alzheimers i was always of the logic to keep mentally challenged, change is as good as a rest. my pa was the same, constantly doing crosswords and getting out.

now i'm not so sure. does he need mental activity in his mind/life and if so, what sort?

thanks all

nikita

Jul 31, 2004
Routine

i can not answer the mind stimulation thing i suppose any kind of stimulation as long as it does not cause more confusion or upset, i am always thinking of ways to stimulate my gran y showing her photos massaging her hands etc,
most people in grans home like routines ie whenits dark some start asking to go to bed. There has to be some flexibility routines are not always rigid.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Routine and the familiar are essential for a quiet life.
Having said that different things stimulate different people.
My wife loves the garden and she comes alive and becomes engrossed in her suroundings.She will remember many plant names.
She also loves going to the RSPB reserve and again will recognise some birds by name.
This is the sort of stimulation which does not cause any mental upset and fits in to the normal life routine.
Hope this makes sense
Norman ;)

B

bjthink

AFF said:
Hi all, my pa has just gone into a home for a week because my ma can't cope alone without the help of other family members popping in. and the regular vistors are taking a weeks holiday.

anyway, he seems to have settled in after an initial bout of 'i want to go home'. but all seems ok.

my question is, do sufferes like their daily routines to be predictable or not. would going into a home for a week create some sort of prompt in his mind or make things worse?

until discovering alzheimers i was always of the logic to keep mentally challenged, change is as good as a rest. my pa was the same, constantly doing crosswords and getting out.

now i'm not so sure. does he need mental activity in his mind/life and if so, what sort?

thanks all

It's an iffy thing.
For many with dementia, the daily routine, the same routine, is a kind of familiar comfort. It's calming and quiescent.
However, I believe, and I know many on this forum don't agree with me, that stimulation is invaluable in the moderate stages of VD/AS.
I think that the more we do to encourage those we care for to think for themselves, and experiment with new things, the better. I also feel that it helps to wire those we care for into the here and now, and this has been confirmed by all research.
'Reality Orientation' is one of the most successful interventions for dementia, BUT, this depends totally on the 'reality' you're trying to access, and why you feel it's important for the specific person to be a party to that access.
It's all in the empathy, in the end, isn't it?
Some don't want to know, and for them it would be cruel to promote awareness.
As Norman says, we take it day by day.
We also take it case by case.
x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Yes, routine is very valuable for some people at certain stages. Later, it becomes a bit irrelevant.

I'd try being routine and see if it works, if it helps in some way. But if it doesn't, then do whatever works in your situation.

The only rule here is that there are no rules!

Last edited:

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear AFF,

This really is a case of try it and see if it works.

Routine and regularity are extremely important for AD sufferers - like having meals at exactly the same time every day. However, doing the same things every single day can often give rise to boredom as well. A change of scenery may very well help for some. In others, it can cause a sense of disorientation and confusion.

It's all a bit hit and miss, but do give it a go and see how things work out.

Best wishes,

Jude

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Aff, the main thing is not to pressurise someone. We none of us like it do we, but if you are struggling to hang on, then it can make the situation a whole lot worse. The key is in striking a kind balance. One that gives as much independance as possible without putting any pressure on the sufferer to do more than they are able to cope with. That would be cruel and in the end lead to distress. Least that's how we worked it out and it seemed to work for us. Love She. XX

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R