Do people think you're crazy?

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Hi Fellow Dementia sufferers,

Do people think you're crazy? I suspect people think I am. I can't correct it. I still work. I think there are those who say I am crazy.

Something is terribly wrong with my mind. Today during a typical professional development class, the speaker passed out literature for the group of about 15 to view. By the time it got to me I could not figure out why I was given the literature and became confused. I gave it back to the person who gave it to me and she gave it back to me a few minutes later. When the speaker collected it from my desk, I retorted that it was mine and it had been given to me by the person sitting behind me. I felt humiliated and stupid once I realized a few minutes later what was going on. Lately I have started back forgetting names of common objects and names of people I see every day. I sometimes am forgetting how to start the car -trying to start it without a key. I am driving extra slow because I am not sure how my mind is thinking. I think I may have to go back on Aricept if this continues. My mind answers questions before my mouth can speak them and when it's my turn to speak I have gone through so many complex responses to the simplest of questions it borders grandiose thinking. I was once very very smart. Now I feel like I can barely make connections to simple things.

Getting older but still too young for this at almost 62. Bones degenerate, eyes dry, arthritis settles in, but...I'd like to keep my mind if you please. I'd surely like to keep it.

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
I've had a similar day, aprilbday. SO demoralising!
I woke with a pain in my calf muscles, rang the osteopath, then missed the appointment, fell asleep in front of the TV, and generally went downhill.
...I'd like to keep my mind if you please. I'd surely like to keep it. That's so true of me too, but I'm beginning to wonder

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
My sympathies April. Yep, I often think I'm crazy - as it really feels like it sometimes and I too do stupid things. I saw a lady recently who I know I know but really have no recollection where from I have avoided her gaze for a long time because of the embarrassment but feel very unkind. I saw her at the weekend and duly ignored her:eek: but felt awful , I bumped into her again and stopped and spoke I know now where I know her from but had no recall:eek: I explained to her I get bad migraines which can alter my facial recognition and if she just says hello, hopefully I'll respond. I felt better after as I don't like to not acknowledge people.

I hope tomorrow's a better day for you:)xx

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
I can no longer rationalise something relatively simple. Have to look more than once at a picture, as it's not always what I think it is!

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
Hi Ya April, great to hear from you just a shame the news you bring is not so great, but hey, you always seem to just shrug it off and move on. I never know quite how but admire the way you do, long may it reign lol.

Answer to your question..........

NO!!!!! They know I am mad ha ha! as do I and all of you my friends xxx

Thankfully, I just forget sometimes and think it is the rest of the world that is mad :):):D

Wayne

Ecognome

Aug 28, 2016
France
Hi Aprilday
Chewtor beat me to it!
They don't "think" I am/have gone mad they "know" it!
Things like you describe started happening to me ten plus years ago! Names of things and people became thingamugigs and what's his name just could not find the words to fit in mid conversation!
Sadly greater events followed!

Now I accept I am not right! Right as in the head right! I do cover a lot of it up by being/acting deliberately silly or stupid! But I have times when I on my own, feelings, emotions and knowing all collide! The result of that is fear! Fear of worse to come!

I was/am sat outside a little French bar enjoying a coffee when I read your thread! I have been shopping! I wrote a list to make sure I won't forget anything! Trouble is I need another list to remember to pick up the first list!
So needless to say I sat here trying to remember what I put on the list (left in the rabbit hole) to make sure I got it all!
Its all very well saying dont worry about being crazy come on in join us the waters fine,
BUT IT STILL BLOODY HURTS GIRL DONT IT!

Hey you Aprilday (((((((HUG)))))))!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I constantly reassure OH that she is not crazy, just not as good at remembering as she used to be. Like you, aprilbday, she was once so smart she ran your own small photography business.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968