Do I pay for inappropriate care?

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
Hi,
Need some advice please!

If you have agreed for someone to do a specific task and they don't stick to the task can you refuse to pay them?
Mil has had a bad experience with a care company and I don't know what to do?
Anyone with similar experience?

Mammamu

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Hi Mammamu,

I would suggest you write down all the expectations and then the dates these expectations were not met. I'm afraid you have to be immaculate with your details. Having been through this before with a care provision agency.

The care needs clear indicators as to what the expectations are. Not only in terms of what they should be doing at each visit but also follow-up should they not be able to achieve it, such as, who to contact to communicate why actions were not achieved.

We had to do this regarding mother's care on what we expected to be done - not exactly difficult, what the expectations on time spent (one career was spending 15 - 30 mins and being paid for a full hour and travel time). In the end, it was sorted and instant dismissal resulted plus deductions on the days she had diddled her times that we had evidence of.

Unhappily, some of the care agencies do not meet the criteria set.

Good luck.

NatB123

Aug 2, 2016
Nottingham
Hi Mammamu,

I think that Oh Knickers advice is probably the best way to approach the situation.

Unfortunately me and my Nan found ourselves in the same situation as yourself and I am STILL trying to get things sorted (my complaints to the care company started in November last year).

My point of view was that if you are paying for a service you expect to get what you are paying for and my Nan did not. We had the exact same issue as Oh Kickers, people staying for a couple of minutes and claiming they were there a full hour! I actually felt that the care company that she was using put her life in danger a couple of times and after complaints to them that they didn't take seriously I have taken things further to the Local Government Ombudsman. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them with their decision, so fingers crossed the care company do not get away with it!

Hopefully if you do what has previously been suggested and go to the manager with what you are unhappy with they will put it right unlike the ones I had the pleasure of dealing with!

If I can help at all then please just let me know :) I still have a copy of my complaint I could PM you (if things get that far!)
Fingers crossed for you that you get it sorted quickly. x

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think it depends.
is the expectation realistic? if someone is incredibly difficult to get into say a bath/shower, just because the carer is detailled to do it, it may not be humanly possible.

If they are detailed to say get breakfast and are not doing so, then that is a little different.

is is realistic to expect them to accomplish in the time?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi,
Need some advice please!

If you have agreed for someone to do a specific task and they don't stick to the task can you refuse to pay them?
Mil has had a bad experience with a care company and I don't know what to do?
Anyone with similar experience?

Mammamu

Hi
I'm afraid that dealing with care agencies require being prepared to be on top of the situation at all times and deal with complaints as soon as they arise. MIL had a situation where a carer turned up one morning and as she was still asleep, the carer left a note saying she wasn't staying and then promptly left. Understandbly MIL and i were livid. She is self funding and was expecting to pay £20 for this . I contacted the agency straight away and MIL was not charged plus the carer was disciplined.

The problem now as she deteriorates is MIL has a tendency to send the carers away early but in the contract she still has to pay if that happens. I agree with other posters you must keep notes and records. The agency we use has an app to use on the smartphone which I can log into and see what's happening as the carer fills it in so I can act quickly if things go awry.

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Hi Mammamu
I have mum with advanced dementia who has live in and relief care from an agency.if you pm me am happy to chat re expectations of agencies.
Jane

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
Update

Thanks all for your advice and support!
Hope you are all well in the heat?

Well today I had a visit from the director of the care agency. It was nice to have a face to face talk with him. He agreed that at some point in April/May something has gone wrong with the carer taking Mil to see Fil.
Unfortunately we both feel that some has got lost in translation....

He has now collected the logs from me and I have forward all emails I have sent to his staff. Although he admitted that they have made a number of errors, he is stressing that we never explained how unwell Mils nerves was and still are. Something I totally disagree with....

I have asked for our fees to be cancelled & refunded as I don't feel any care has been given in the he last few months. However we will be happy to pay for the cost of travel.
It's so upsetting as I genuinely think it's all a big misunderstanding. The care staff at the car home are lovely but not always easy to understand and get. Hence I think it is a personality & languages clash. It felt like it became 2 teams us & them, It was never like that before!

We are all doing ok at the moment our next visit is Thursday,fingers crossed all is well and good then!

Hugs Mammamu