Do I need this?

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I'm thinking of looking at this too Es, I have really had enough of this agency now. This morning I am facing the prospect of getting hubs up on my own, normally two carers and me in background to help occasionally. Not happy.
So I,'ll be interested also to see if anyone has suggestions to offer.
I'm sorry you've reached this point, I hope you do find good carers, it makes all the difference

Morning bemused, sorry you are facing such a struggle this morning on your own . Seems like carers are not trained enough or they are not very reliable . Have no experience yet of care agencies but wanted at least to send you a tremendous hug xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks chick. At least Jess will have a peaceful morning!
Must say the actual carers we have are mostly good, the issues have been personality clashes.The issue for me had been with

management, who ignore things until its too late and withdraw when the inevitable happens.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thanks chick. At least Jess will have a peaceful morning!
Must say the actual carers we have are mostly good, the issues have been personality clashes.The issue for me had been with

management, who ignore things until its too late and withdraw when the inevitable happens.

How is Jess this morning? Have been thinking about both of you . Xxxxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
She is not too bad as long as she doesn't get stressed. The carers are actually being really good when they come and go and make as little noise as possible.
She manages the occasional short walk but is getting weaker by the day.
The only plus is vet assures me it isn't painful, just very distressing for her. But dogs are truly amazing in their power to adapt.
Thank you for asking

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
She is not too bad as long as she doesn't get stressed. The carers are actually being really good when they come and go and make as little noise as possible.
She manages the occasional short walk but is getting weaker by the day.
The only plus is vet assures me it isn't painful, just very distressing for her. But dogs are truly amazing in their power to adapt.
Thank you for asking

Aww she sounds so lovely bemused very sad for you all (hugs) xxxxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Who said I couldn't do it on my own.!
Up, showered, ready for the day.
Only downside, if I do it too often he will decide he likes it so much he won't have carers any more. Then I will have problems.

Es' s question about finding private carers has got a bit overtaken, so if anyone has any advice to share, please help.

Tara62

Feb 25, 2015
West Yorkshire and East Anglia
I was wondering about private carers but not sure how to go about it. If I'm paying by Direct Payments does the carer have to be registered with Adult Services? Presumably they have to have Insurance too. I'd be really grateful for any advice

I was not happy with the agency care I received for my late mother, so when it came to finding carers for my father I decided to get private carers.

I wrote some adverts, printed them out (probably about twenty of them) and put them in local shop windows, the library, the art gallery and other public places. I got a lot of replies, but most people who replied were (in my view) unsuitable, for one reason or another. Eventually I found two ladies who had both been agency carers in the past, but who now worked for themselves. The whole search process from start to finish took me four weeks.

What I would say is that when I first found these carers, all my father needed was a bit of companionship and a few meals making, so any nice, sensible person without training would have been able to help. However, in the two years since I found them, my father has gone terribly downhill, and now needs help with every aspect of life. He cannot get washed and dressed without help, for instance. If these ladies had not been properly trained in care, they would not have been able to do the job as it is now. So I would say it is a good idea to look for people with as much training as possible, because you don't know how things are going to develop. One of my ladies did two years of nursing training, and this has turned out to be so useful and helpful that it makes my blood run cold to think how things would have been without her knowledge.

As this is a private arrangement, I don't see how it can have anything whatsoever to do with Adult Services or Social Services.

One of my ladies has insurance, and as far as I know the other one doesn't. This may not be strictly correct, but to be honest I don't care - I don't think she is the type of person to take me to court if she has an accident in my father's house. As they are both trained carers, they are trained in risk assessment, and they have both checked his house out for dangers - in fact, between them they have changed his house around a bit to make it safer for everyone.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you for the info Tara, it's just the sort of advice that's worth it's weight in gold

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Thanks Tara, invaluable advice.
Hope your day has as much love and peace in it as possible bemused. Well done for managing on your own today, but as you say difficult if your husband gets used to it. Some days are easier than others aren't they. I find my husband does a lot better when the OT/physio are here. They suggested I get a white uniform! I don't know what it's like in your area but they have come up with some amazing equipment. We now have a big red 'patient turner' very helpful for transferring from wheelchair to chair or chair to bath lift. I could send a pic if it would be helpful.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks Es but we have just about everything we need now.we have a ceiling hoist because he can't mobilise at all now. Being a stubborn old ***he refused a wheelchair long ago but he has a pressure receiving armchair, sits in that for a few hours and the rest of the time is bedbound to reduce the pain in his neck and spine. Chick will be familiar with that.
It was a peaceful day, very good for Jess, wish I could do it all the time. Let us know how the carer hunt goes.

Last edited:

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Sorry to read of all your problems and glad you managed to help your husband without harm to either of you. I don't really know much about employing carers privately but seem to remember reading on here that you would need some form of employer's liability insurance and contracts, etc, to do it all legally. I'm sure someone will be along to advise. Best wishes.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Sorry to read of all your problems and glad you managed to help your husband without harm to either of you. I don't really know much about employing carers privately but seem to remember reading on here that you would need some form of employer's liability insurance and contracts, etc, to do it all legally. I'm sure someone will be along to advise. Best wishes.

I was thinking about that too, plus you may have to deal with things like employers' NI contributions and even pensions. I'm sure there have been some discussions about this or perhaps TPers who already have this set-up might help. I know some folks will say they don't bother about that but personally I don't think you can choose which laws you follow and which you don't. Please find out what the rules are before you start otherwise you may add to the hassle and stress rather than reduce it.

Tara62

Feb 25, 2015
West Yorkshire and East Anglia
you may have to deal with things like employers' NI contributions and even pensions

No, you don't. You really, absolutely don't. I don't just think this, I know it for sure. You have to deal with these things if you have employees working for you on an employment contract.

If you have private carers working for you and they are not on a contract, they count as self-employed and are responsible for their own NI contributions, etc.

I admit I am ignoring the insurance issue, and I believe I have very good reasons for doing that. I am most certainly not ignoring any other legal issues. The employment status of my father's two carers is fully legal: they are not my employees. They are self-employed.