Do I need a Financial Aassessment?

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Do I really need a SS financial assessment for my Mum. She owns her own home and has about £40k of savings. Social Services organised her current Care Agency which will be funded by my Mum. The letter arrived today and states that they will need to see her Bank statements and want to know all about her expenses, gas, electricity, water etc. What, if anything, will she gain from one of these. It feels like an invasion of privacy :confused: Thank you for any comments xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Assuming your mother is totally self-funding you do not need to have a financial assessment done.

Bessieb

Jun 2, 2014
They should have included an opt-out form with your assessment pack. You can just tick the box to say you know your Mum is over the threshold and won't be expecting funding...and then you don't have to supply any documents or go through the process

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
They should have included an opt-out form with your assessment pack. You can just tick the box to say you know your Mum is over the threshold and won't be expecting funding...and then you don't have to supply any documents or go through the process

Thank you. Didnt get a pack - just a letter. It states she may qualify for some financial support. I think she has too much in savings, so will call them tomorrow.

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
Even if you Mum is self funding she can still get Attendance Allowance as this isn't means tested and will go towards the cost of the carers. My Mum got this but no other benefits as she had too much money. I never filled in the amount of money Mum had in the SS financial assessment form as she was self funding.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If they don't have any information then do they know she has £40k? If so they may be thinking that's not too much over the £24k level at which they will have to start chipping in. Depending on the circumstances how much longer do you guess it will be before SS may have to start paying part, the further away this is the less the need for an assessment. You can refuse it but sometime in the future if the money runs out you'll need one then.
K

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I would cross the bridge as I come to it, well, a little bit before.

My FIL has dementia, he and MIL have just begun to access services, which they self- fund.
MIL will never allow a financial assessment, they have substantial funds and state assistance would never be needed but she would never agree anyway and thankfully, to protect her sensibilities, she is not required to.
They can only poke their nose in your business when it becomes their business.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
If they don't have any information then do they know she has £40k? If so they may be thinking that's not too much over the £24k level at which they will have to start chipping in. Depending on the circumstances how much longer do you guess it will be before SS may have to start paying part, the further away this is the less the need for an assessment. You can refuse it but sometime in the future if the money runs out you'll need one then.
K

Thank you for your reply. Mum is on her second SW in 5 weeks. First one said that when her savings drop then support for funding may come into place. He said they may also be able to cap care costs. Not quite sure when this would start. He also said if my Mum went into respite through SS then the costs there would be on LA rate and not private. Second SW (not particularly brilliant) got confused about alot of things but said not to have financial assessment. I had spoken to SS as Mum had been on a couple of walkabouts and the letter arrived. So much to think about :confused:

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Even if you Mum is self funding she can still get Attendance Allowance as this isn't means tested and will go towards the cost of the carers. My Mum got this but no other benefits as she had too much money. I never filled in the amount of money Mum had in the SS financial assessment form as she was self funding.

Thank you for your reply. We already have AA in place. My mum is in similar positiion, she has state pension and her own small private pension which takes her just over the threshold for Pension Credit. We speak to Assessment team later.