Do I let her Sleep?

Denison

Jul 12, 2018
My wife is diagnosed with Semantic Alzheimers for 2 years and is progressing. She now sleeps a lot during the day and usually at night although she sometimes is awake and wondering around.
In the morning she often wakes weeping and I try my best to reassure her, that can take about 2 hours before she is able to come downstairs for some breakfast. I have asked our GP if her meds can be reviewed to help with this.
My question is do I let her sleep on in the morning if she does seem to want to wake up? I don't want to make her unhappy but also worry her sleep pattern is all out of synch. Any advice? I am really struggling with knowing what to do for the best for her.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Hi Denison,

On the days my OH does not have to be up for day centre I let him sleep in, sometimes to lunchtime. If I do get him up early in the morning he just sleeps in the armchair anyway. From my experience I do not think sleeping in affects this rest of the day. How sad that your wife weeps in the morning. My OH does not wake joyful more wary and worried I would say. Your wife's behaviour throws a light on how a PWD views the world. Very thought provoking.

Denison

Jul 12, 2018
Hi Denison,

On the days my OH does not have to be up for day centre I let him sleep in, sometimes to lunchtime. If I do get him up early in the morning he just sleeps in the armchair anyway. From my experience I do not think sleeping in affects this rest of the day. How sad that your wife weeps in the morning. My OH does not wake joyful more wary and worried I would say. Your wife's behaviour throws a light on how a PWD views the world. Very thought provoking.

I find it very difficult because the semantic dementia means that she has lost her verbal skills and cannot explain what is is troubling her so much. With communication so difficult, it has made helping and reassuring almost impossible....She seems unable to make sense of the world, who I am, where we are, I really don't know what to do for the best for her except love her

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I used to let my husband sleep. I used to believe while he was sleeping at least he was free from anxiety and fear.

His sleeping pattern was erratic at times but I didn't try to influence it. I saw his sleeping as a form of escape or release.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I am reading this as my Pauline lies back in her armchair snoring her head off while ‘Classic’ Eastenders rumbles away in the background but if I change it she will awaken and tell me off as she was watching it (!). I just let her sleep as I believe it is what nature wants.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I am reading this as my Pauline lies back in her armchair snoring her head off while ‘Classic’ Eastenders rumbles away in the background but if I change it she will awaken and tell me off as she was watching it (!). I just let her sleep as I believe it is what nature wants.

Dad didn't get up until 3 this afternoon, he had breakfast in bed in the end. I made him get up in eventually because I had to go to the shops and I don't like him still being in bed if I am out. He got up, had a late lunch and went to sleep in his chair. I went shopping and came back to find him still asleep. He woke up for his small dinner at 7 and has been asleep since. He will wake up a bit later to watch some quiz shows and then go to bed around midnight where he will sleep like a log until I wake him up in the morning.

Big surprise for him tomorrow morning as he has to go for some blood tests and will have to be up and dressed by 10 am He is not going to be happy with me.

I agree, let her sleep, she must need it.