Do I have to pay my mums debts

krissymc

Sep 24, 2012
I received a letter last week, 1 year to the day my mother passed away, it was from social services saying that she owed them money for her care home fees. Im so upset about this because the day after she died I phoned them and asked did she owe any money and was told no it was all up to date. Now they are saying if I don't pay it they will send debt collectors to recover the amount, my mum didn't have a lot of money and what she had covered her funeral. By law do I have to pay her debts?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Did you sign anything? Generally, no, debts aren't passed on to family members but if you signed something (and a lot of family members do) you may be responsible. And of course, if your mother left an estate, then any bills should have been paid by that.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Did you sign anything? Generally, no, debts aren't passed on to family members but if you signed something (and a lot of family members do) you may be responsible. And of course, if your mother left an estate, then any bills should have been paid by that.

Just a query - what is considered a reasonable timeframe? Surely you can't suddenly produce a bill after a year? Most people would have disbursed estates in that time?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think it depends a lot on the situation. I know when my mother died we posted a notice in the London Gazette for creditors which I understand gives a 2 month window for creditors to come forward. Without such a notice, executors can remain personally liable, even if all the funds have been distributed (at least I think that's how it works).

Anyway, I suspect in this case, krissymc may have actually signed something, either with the LA or the carehome.

krissymc

Sep 24, 2012
I don't remember signing anything for the LA or care home but I did contact them straight away to pay if any her debts. This is my point the little money she did have,( no estate) was used for her funeral so effectively they want me to pay for her care home when she spent her last 3 weeks in hospital.:confused:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I would check that you never signed anything, if you didn't then no you are not liable and since there is no money in your mum's estate they can't come after you for it.

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
Hi
Firstly let me say why on earth have they left it a year ? Beggers belief doesn't it :mad:
Secondly, i have had a whole load of hassle since my mum passed away in August ( with The DWP ) I sought advice from a few different organizations and YOU ARE NOT LIABLE for the debt. Debt's get squashed if there is not enough in the deceased person's estate. If there is any estate, the funds should come out of that ( after funeral expenses ) I would seek some advice ( CAB or a solicitor or anyone who specializes in debt recovery ).

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I received a letter last week, 1 year to the day my mother passed away, it was from social services saying that she owed them money for her care home fees. Im so upset about this because the day after she died I phoned them and asked did she owe any money and was told no it was all up to date. Now they are saying if I don't pay it they will send debt collectors to recover the amount, my mum didn't have a lot of money and what she had covered her funeral. By law do I have to pay her debts?

Sometimes I think organisations send out bills in hope that people do not know the law.
I know of a case where a nephew got a bill from the council for his uncles care.
How the council traced him he does not know.
He had not even seen his uncle for 20+ years.

William

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti