Do I believe what the doctors are telling me?

echo66

May 28, 2015
Ten days ago Mum was rushed into hospital, she's been on oxygen ever since. On Monday this week the doctor said he thought the prognosis was probably a few months. On Wednesday the doctor said he thought we were looking at the last few days of life.

Mum is on increasing amounts of oxygen, has stopped eating and is drinking very little, she drifts in and out of sleep, doesn't speak much but is very confused when she does.

Seven months ago I was told she probably only had a few days left - then she rallied and spent the next 4 months gradually deteriorating in the nursing home. Now suddenly we are potentially looking at end of life (again).

I'm having trouble getting my head around this and don't know what to believe.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@echo66 I'm so sorry to read your news. It's no wonder your having trouble getting your head round this. Wishing you strength.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its a terrible roller coaster isnt it?
I was told 3 times that mum was at end of life, only for her to rally again. When it really was end of life I somehow couldnt quite believe it and kept expecting her to bounce back.

This rallying seems to be quite common with dementia - the body seems to cling to life longer than you would expect.

echo66

May 28, 2015
When I went to the hospital yesterday Mum was being given water that looked like it was fortified with something, it was quite thick. She wasn't exactly with it last night but managed to stay awake more than she has all week, I put that down to the increased levels of oxygen. I've rung today and been told that she has had a small amount of food. So now I am very confused as to whether the Doctor has got it right, that she really is in the last few days, because it seems almost like she's picking up again.

I'm trying to get to speak with the Doctor again for some clarification.... this up/down emotional rollercoaster is hell.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
As Canary says, it’s quite common with dementia. OH was called three times to his father before he died and I was also called three times for my father. I was told OH had hours, maybe days, to live. He, good as always, died in 15 hours. All with dementia.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
When I went to the hospital yesterday Mum was being given water that looked like it was fortified with something, it was quite thick. She wasn't exactly with it last night but managed to stay awake more than she has all week, I put that down to the increased levels of oxygen. I've rung today and been told that she has had a small amount of food. So now I am very confused as to whether the Doctor has got it right, that she really is in the last few days, because it seems almost like she's picking up again.

I'm trying to get to speak with the Doctor again for some clarification.... this up/down emotional rollercoaster is hell.

The water may have been thickened as it helps prevent aspiration. My MIL has had this for the last few days and it allows them time to swallow without chokng because the thicker liquid goes down less fast.

Whitey2000

Oct 19, 2018
The water may have been thickened as it helps prevent aspiration. My MIL has had this for the last few days and it allows them time to swallow without chokng because the thicker liquid goes down less fast.

My mom is on this too due to aspiration pneumonia. She is refusing nearly all drinks because she hates the taste. She did have some thick milkshake yesterday