Do eyes change colour before death?

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Dear All,

Hope you’re all not too bad these days.

Just a quick question. Dad’s eyes have always been baby baby blue. Today, maybe a little earlier they have changed to green/ brown. What causes this and is it normal?

I’m sitting here with dad in the care home. Last week we were called out twice in the middle of the night because his BP was really really low. Didn’t think he’d make it. It’s been decided after speaking to the Dr who came out that no more hospital intervention.

He’s food intake is zero now, but fluid is good. Especially, today. 3 mugs of tea. His urine is ok in colour in the catheter bag. He said Sunday that he had a raging thirst. Yesterday and today he’s been fixated at a corner in the ceiling. He’s been shouting out and looking like he’s really scared at times. Been given mizdolam to calm him. Not all the time . Non vocal. EOL drugs in place.

He’s been wanting to give me and nurses hugs and tried to get out of bed, too today.

Any ideas to this situation, much appreciated .

BFNx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That’s an interesting question. I was with my husband when he died but can’t recall a change in eye colour - maybe I just didn’t t notice.

When my mum was dying I found the Marie Cure information really helpful -

Thinking of you. Hard times.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband’s did. His eye colour was a striking blue that changed over the last two years to a dull grey colour, really lifeless.

Half an hour before he died, whilst our daughter and granddaughter were out of the room he opened his eyes For the first time in months. They were back to their beautiful deep colour. I never told them for months, I thought they might think me delusional.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mums corneas became opaque a good 24 hours before death, so her eyes appeared much more grey than normal. Also, the pupils dilated so her eyes appeared darker.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
My husband’s did. His eye colour was a striking blue that changed over the last two years to a dull grey colour, really lifeless.

Half an hour before he died, whilst our daughter and granddaughter were out of the room he opened his eyes For the first time in months. They were back to their beautiful deep colour. I never told them for months, I thought they might think me delusional.
I am so pleased to read this Jay!
The Banjoman had beautiful dark brown eyes but towards the end they were grey but because so much was going on in the last few months of his life, although it hit me one time when he suddenly looked at me, I could never be sure when they changed. It wasn’t until after he died that I had the time to think about it and question it. I mentioned it to his sister in law who agreed with me that she too thought they had changed.
I tried to look it up and found one article that I think said the Iris colour could change after a certain type of stroke and on thinking about it I wondered if that was when he was found on his bedroom floor with the broken femur, although at the hospital they said he hadn’t had a stroke. I think I vaguely remember noticing the change when he was lying in the hospital bed the day after the fall and before the operation to repair the leg. I think from then on he always seemed to have a “distant” look, as though he wasn’t focusing on things. He was also violently responsive to any medical treatment and complained loudly at any physical touch, no matter how gentle, although he would let me hold his hand.
For the last, nearly three years since he died, I have been wondering if his eyesight had been affected and that was why he reacted so excessively but he couldn’t explain what had happened?
I feel I should have realised but I would only see him for a couple of hours a week at most in the hospital or care home, under totally unusual circumstances.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Dear All,

Hope you’re all not too bad these days.

Just a quick question. Dad’s eyes have always been baby baby blue. Today, maybe a little earlier they have changed to green/ brown. What causes this and is it normal?

I’m sitting here with dad in the care home. Last week we were called out twice in the middle of the night because his BP was really really low. Didn’t think he’d make it. It’s been decided after speaking to the Dr who came out that no more hospital intervention.

He’s food intake is zero now, but fluid is good. Especially, today. 3 mugs of tea. His urine is ok in colour in the catheter bag. He said Sunday that he had a raging thirst. Yesterday and today he’s been fixated at a corner in the ceiling. He’s been shouting out and looking like he’s really scared at times. Been given mizdolam to calm him. Not all the time . Non vocal. EOL drugs in place.

He’s been wanting to give me and nurses hugs and tried to get out of bed, too today.

Any ideas to this situation, much appreciated .

BFNx
That’s an interesting question. I was with my husband when he died but can’t recall a change in eye colour - maybe I just didn’t t notice.

When my mum was dying I found the Marie Cure information really helpful -

Thinking of you. Hard times.
Thank you for your answers. Why am I answering my own post??!! ??‍♂️?‍♂️Maybe i need more sleep. I will have a look at the link.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hi. I read somewhere that sometimes they do.I wish I could remember where.

Mums corneas became opaque a good 24 hours before death, so her eyes appeared much more grey than normal. Also, the pupils dilated so her eyes appeared darker.
I am so pleased to read this Jay!
The Banjoman had beautiful dark brown eyes but towards the end they were grey but because so much was going on in the last few months of his life, although it hit me one time when he suddenly looked at me, I could never be sure when they changed. It wasn’t until after he died that I had the time to think about it and question it. I mentioned it to his sister in law who agreed with me that she too thought they had changed.
I tried to look it up and found one article that I think said the Iris colour could change after a certain type of stroke and on thinking about it I wondered if that was when he was found on his bedroom floor with the broken femur, although at the hospital they said he hadn’t had a stroke. I think I vaguely remember noticing the change when he was lying in the hospital bed the day after the fall and before the operation to repair the leg. I think from then on he always seemed to have a “distant” look, as though he wasn’t focusing on things. He was also violently responsive to any medical treatment and complained loudly at any physical touch, no matter how gentle, although he would let me hold his hand.
For the last, nearly three years since he died, I have been wondering if his eyesight had been affected and that was why he reacted so excessively but he couldn’t explain what had happened?
I feel I should have realised but I would only see him for a couple of hours a week at most in the hospital or care home, under totally unusual circumstances.
Thank you all for your replies. I also remember read something about it too.

Shawn.u

Jul 12, 2023
Dad , bless him has 2 teeth left and was so smiley at times today. ?
Hello,

I read your post about the eye color changing, is your father still alive, if he is no longer, then how much longer after the eye color change did he pass?

Thanks,

Shawn

GeeDee

Sep 8, 2022
Hi. I visited my mum today and she opened her eyes for the first time (during my visits) in months. I noticed that her eyes colour which was always light blue looked much darker - almost like the pupils and irises had merged into one. I couldn't see any of the white part of her eyes as her eye lids didn't open enough. It was quite strange.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello,

I read your post about the eye color changing, is your father still alive, if he is no longer, then how much longer after the eye color change did he pass?

Thanks,

Shawn
Hi Shawn,

Dad,unfortunately died last August really soon after my post.

Thinking about it maybe a week or a week and a half when his eyes changed. The last 1-2 weeks he lost his speech and eyesight too.

Hope you're hanging in there, on your own journey.

Sue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba