Do care homes nursing homes give risperdrone

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hi guys looking for advice for future dad been nearly sectioned twice last yr beginning of this yr at home still on risperdrone reluctantly although the thought fills me with dread sickness n is alien to me thinking of homes been ringing round explaining the situation about my dad and all the ins and outs tbh hes a absolute teror n very hard work i dont think any home will deal with hm he wont settle but anyway a few ive called say no we dont give risperdrone is that true

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It depends on the home. No home will just give risperidone - it has to be prescribed by a doctor, but some homes will not accept the sort of behaviour that requires risperidone. Have you been searching for EMI homes that deal with challenging behaviour?

Snowdrops77

Feb 20, 2019
Hi guys looking for advice for future dad been nearly sectioned twice last yr beginning of this yr at home still on risperdrone reluctantly although the thought fills me with dread sickness n is alien to me thinking of homes been ringing round explaining the situation about my dad and all the ins and outs tbh hes a absolute teror n very hard work i dont think any home will deal with hm he wont settle but anyway a few ive called say no we dont give risperdrone is that true
Hello
My mum's on Risperidone for her behaviour, she lives with me. I had to fight to get her on this drug and it's helped so much, she has no side effects. Her consultant wants my mum to go into a home, she said she will keep her on the drug. She told me to find a home that my mum can walk round and round in a circle. My mum is challenging and will be in such terrible distress. Mum will be staying with me for the time being we are not ready for a home yet. So it was agreed she would stay on the drug if she goes into a home.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hello
My mum's on Risperidone for her behaviour, she lives with me. I had to fight to get her on this drug and it's helped so much, she has no side effects. Her consultant wants my mum to go into a home, she said she will keep her on the drug. She told me to find a home that my mum can walk round and round in a circle. My mum is challenging and will be in such terrible distress. Mum will be staying with me for the time being we are not ready for a home yet. So it was agreed she would stay on the drug if she goes into a home.
I get you i second that my dad will be also very agaited confused in a dreadful state im putting it off really feel sick at the thought of it .

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
It depends on the home. No home will just give risperidone - it has to be prescribed by a doctor, but some homes will not accept the sort of behaviour that requires risperidone. Have you been searching for EMI homes that deal with challenging behaviour?
Hi no EMI homes just dementia homes Also have tp look at low budget as my dad wont be self funding

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @deepetshopboy
Your dad will need EMI home - thats why you cant find anywhere that will accept someone on risperidone.
The LA has a duty to fund at least one home that will meet his needs, so there will be somewhere out there for him. My mum was in an EMI home. On the surface it looked a bit shabby and old fashioned, but it was homely (rather than being like a hotel) and the care was wonderful.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum is in a nursing home and has recently been put on risperidone by her gp as she was becoming more and more aggressive towards staff. She is only on a very low dose though

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
@canary i think EMI is old term they use so im looking at dementia homes hopefully not just a ward or floor it would be nice if he had the whole place to go around but i dont know if they excist ?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum was in an EMI care home and it wasnt just a floor or ward and, yes, she (and a lot of other residents) used to wander around all the time.
The decor was old fashioned and a bit shabby, but it was clean and homely and the care was wonderful. When I visited (pre-covid) it took a bit of getting used to because quite a few of the residents had quite challenging behaviour, but the staff took it all in their stride and mum was happy there.