DNR - do you need to sign anything?

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
I am just wondering whether once the family have reached a decision about DNR if there is a form to sign? Having found wandering in fields at 1.30am my mum was admitted into hospital yesterday and lost consciousness yesterday. I was taken away by a lovely member of the Care of the Elderly team to ask if we had the DNR in place - we hadn’t so she explained what it was. As a family we have agreed to this for when the time comes, but I wanted to check whether our word to the ward is good enough (as suggested by the nurse) or whether we need to have it in writing.
Thanks for any advice.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have an Advance Directive which in effect is a DNR but I arranged this myself. I`m not quite sure of the position of a person with dementia and whether or not they have ca[pacity to agree to this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I checked on my OHs DNAR form and no, I didnt sign anything and there is no space for me to sign - only the doctor needs to sign. It does say on it, though, that the doctor has to discuss this with either the patient or relative/attorney and they have to state what was said. In OHs case the doctor did speak to me and what he has written is accurate.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I've discussed this with the doctor at my mother's previous care home and the nurse practitioner at her current home. I haven't signed anything, but hopefully they are aware of what we think would be in my mother's best interests.
I hope your mum improves @Bearz77, and you and the family can come to some decisions about what is needed to keep her safe.

Last edited:

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
That’s great, thanks all. We have POA in place and Mum has no capacity - we are all content that she wouldn’t want to be left in a very poor condition should the situation arise.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
There is a form but you can't sign it - I think it's called a TEP form at dad's Drs. They have to update it after discussion with LPA or next of kin

Ton3

Dec 2, 2019
We have a DNR in place no signature from us and we were told we had to display it in a prominent place so it is attached to the bottom of MILs hospital bed (at home) in full view of anybody who needs to see it.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
We have a DNR, in fact 2 - one for each county, apparently. (We live close to county boundary.) I haven't had to sign anything. Mum also has an Advanced Decision. I produce all if we have an ambulance call out.
It is my understanding - and I may well be wrong - that DNR only refers to attempting to restart your heart, if it stops. Advanced Decision is much more wide ranging, and allows you to refuse ventilation, tube feeding etc. Obviously it can only be completed when the person has capacity. Forms can be downloaded from Compassion in Dying website.

Last edited:

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
Fa
We have a DNR, in fact 2 - one for each county, apparently. (We live close to county boundary.) I haven't had to sign anything. Mum also has an Advanced Decision. I produce all if we have an ambulance call out.
It is my understanding - and I may well be wrong - that DNR only refers to attempting to restart your heart, if it stops. Advanced Decision is much more wide ranging, and allows you to refuse ventilation, tube feeding etc. Obviously it can only be completed when the person has capacity. Forms can be downloaded from Compassion in Dying website.
Fantastic - this is really helpful thank you.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
http://dnar.co.uk/ . contains a lot of info about advance decisions and DNARs including sample forms.
Clicking along the top bar leads to a lot of information and comments on experience some of which are disturbing.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad was 89 very frail with terminal cancer and dementia and under hospice care. The hospice asked dads GP to arrange a DNAR The GP came to chat with dad at home who said that 'of course he would want resuscitation because there was nothing wrong with him' then the GP had a chat with me and said that dad clearly did not understand his condition or the implications of resuscitation and he filled the form out there and then. I also signed it as POA but perhaps that was because dad disagreed.

I put the form in a drawer and made sure that everyone knew where it was.