Dnar.

Mary9

Dec 12, 2013
Mom has had one of these in place for several months, now the GP is refusing to renew it saying a new law has come in and they can not be given for dementia, this really worries me, Mom is 84 prone to falls and would not want to have someone jumping on her if she was to have a heart attack, has anyone else had this.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I haven't heard anything new. I thought once one was in place and signed that was it - I can't see how they can question it - that is what she wanted and they were happy with her signing it several months ago, I can't see how the position with your Mum's wishes have changed. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
I hope someone will come along with more knowledge soon to help out x

Mary9

Dec 12, 2013
Hi nitram, thanks for your reply, no one has Lpa or any other, it was agreed between family, nursing home, and Gp, I haven't yet checked who has signed the pre ones but need to check with the home, who at the moment aren't being too helpful with the situation. I just don't see how it can be in place and then he decides he no longer wants to sign it, not making any sense. No Mom didn't have capacity when it came in but I 100% know she would not want jumping all over

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
I had one until OH died in July. Think it was set up in March (?) 2014.

I've just been asked if we have one of these in my dad's care home. The care home owner looked surprised when I said there wasn't one in place and that we thought as dad was too far down the line with his Alzheimers that he wouldn't be able to sign it. The care home owner said that as dad has a terminal brain disease that the doctor would sign one if requested to do so by the family the reason being that dad's quality of life will almost certainly be much more diminished after being resuscitated. I began to wonder if this was the norm then?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
No, I'm getting muddled, not a good day today. Got LPA health and well being in March 14. Soon afterwards the GP asked me about DNR, which I wanted anyway. However, no paperwork was forthcoming until he went into care. The care home wanted similar from every family.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
We had a DNAR in place for 18 months for my Ma
When she went into hospital for the first and last time the wonderful doctor (the first and last wonderful doctor we saw) helped me sort out another one for her as I had not brought the one from home in the ambulance with us. No renewals, no fuss, no problem maybe we were just lucky

Mary9

Dec 12, 2013
So any ideas what I can do, as really want one in place, thanks all for your comments, suggestions x

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
If I was in a GP practice I would arrange to see another GP and explain the situation again and see if he is happy to sign it and if not ask what you can do because many peeople with dementia have DNARs in place

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
but i don't know if that would work - others will be along with more practical solutions soon xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband had an awful fear of death and dying - but he had an even worse fear of all things medical, and being hooked up to machines, and given drugs and doctors etc. And as extreme paranoia was a very big feature of his illness from quite early on, there was no way a DNR could be discussed with him. So it was just shelved, although I knew he would not want to be resuscitated if it came to it. He had never been in hospital so it had never arisen. Until his final illness, just 9 or ten weeks before his death. At that point, the doctors in the hospital (who had already had to make the decision to resuscitate him as I couldn't get to the hospital in time) discussed it with me, and explained the implications. They told me that although his heart was strong, he had suffered respiratory failure, and they needed to know, for the future, should he be brought in again in a similar condition, did I want him to be revived again? Once I said no, that at this stage of his illness (he was in the end stages of dementia), his quality of life was very poor, he was getting repeated chest infections, his swallow reflex was gone - and I felt that by now, intervention was just prolonging his death, and I would be doing it for me not for him. Then the doctor said that actually, while they have to discuss the options, his medical opinion would be the same - it would not be in William's best interests to revive him again. So he put a DNR on the file. And at that point - when he had reached that stage of his illness - the nursing home had the form put on his file there and signed by his GP, saying that he was to be kept comfortable in the home and let nature take its course, not to be transferred to hospital again.

So, it may be a question of how fit the person is both mentally and medically? I don't know.

Mary9

Dec 12, 2013
Dnar

Hi all, just wanted to update on this, as I still cannot get one in place Gp refusing to sign as say rules have changed and form is now 3 pages long, the other gp that goes in wouldn't deal with me said it had to be the other Dr. I have been speaking to a pallative care nurse in the same area who knows nothing of any changes at all, so don't know where he is getting his info from, I am banging my head against a brick wall, the care home manager rang me to say the gp was upset with my complaint I had sent, my remark was good as I am very upset, she wasn't on my side at all and then said maybe I should look for other care homes where the gp will sign a DNAR!!!!!!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Bigreader

Jan 22, 2016
Mary, I don't know where your GP is getting his information but when my mother went into hospital last November the doctor suggested they do one as she would be too frail to withstand the severity of resuscitation. When she came out the DNR came with her, but her GP said she'd do one if it didn't. As others have said, there are lots of PWDs who have one.
The only thing I can suggest is that you be told immediately if your mother is sent to hospital so that you can be there (are you close enough?) and discuss with the hospital doctors. I find it strange that the care home have not come across this before.

Mary9

Dec 12, 2013
Hi both, thanks again for your info. I have looked on every website and read all the info possible, when I try to explain to the home re no change, they just won't have it and keep telling me it's up to the Dr and that's it, I am starting to feel as though I am being lied to.