DLA & HiRate mobility

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Hi everyone. I've not been on here for a while so forgive me, but I have a question. Applied for the HR mobility component last October. Rejection received 24th Dec. Sent in appeal and rec'd rejection Mon 31st March. So tribunal is the next course. Easter Monday, the week before, Susan had a seizure. Full blown type. Her first, (my first). I did not send that info to the DLA / DWP as they were due to reply to me by Mon 31. Does anyone have any experience of tribunal / would the seizure affect any decission / Can anyone comment (private message if prefered) on what is deemed "unable to walk". Are Age Concern or CAB usefull.
thanks all
cris

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I came across this explanation, which may be useful:

What is Disability Living Allowance for Mobility?

This can help when you have difficulties walking outside your home. Your difficulties could be due to physical or mental health problems. The rate you are awarded depends upon the kind of mobility difficulties you have.

What is the lower rate?

You can claim the lower rate if you can walk, but need someone with you when you go out to help you find your way about. For example: you have problems seeing, you have panic attacks, you have a mental health problem that makes it hard for you to cope when you are outside, or you have learning difficulties. The test looks at whether you can manage on your own in unfamiliar routes. So, if you can follow routes that are familiar to you, it doesn't matter. This sort of walking will be ignored and you may still qualify if you cannot cope with routes that are new to you.

What is the higher rate?

You can claim the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance for Mobility if:

* You are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and you get the highest rate of Disability Living Allowance for Care, or
* The effort of walking would be a serious risk to your health, or
* You have no legs or feet, or
* You are deaf and blind, or
* You are unable to walk at all, or
* You are 'virtually' unable to walk.

What does 'virtually' unable to walk mean?

This is where, for example, you get breathless or tired out after a short distance, your walking is very slow difficult or painful, or your walking is interrupted so much by stopping that you make very little progress. The time taken to walk, the distance you can walk, how you walk and the speed at which you walk are all taken into account. You have to show that your problems have a physical cause.

And yes, both Age Concern and the CAB can offer help. They willlikely have people who are experts in filling out these claims, and they will know exactly what is relevent and what is not and are also likely to think of many things to put on the form that you won't have, because you thought they didn't matter or were obvious...etc.

Helena

May 24, 2006
My daughter was turned down for DLA despite needing a wheelchair

however when a Social worker completed her forms you should have seen the huge difference in them and on appeal she got higher rate

When i applied for my Mother I made sure to state "worst day" scenario very clearly indeed

Many people simply do not provide enough info on the forms and the DWP staff are under orders to reject as many claims as possible

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
Hr Dla

I had a great Alzheimer's Carers Support worker and she always came and filled all my forms in when I had any and she too always said, tell it how it is but give the worst case scenario. We often fail to put things down on forms that seem to make a difference. Go ahead with the appeal and get whoever you can in your corner, keep on. Sorry Susan has had a seizure, Steve had 3 in December and he's seemed so much happier in himself since them for some strange reason but they probably had nothing to do with it. He sings and whistles all the time and has for a good couple of months. Just keep on pushing.

Sue

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hi Helena

Sorry but I will have to totally contradict you - having worked for DWP for many years. There seems to be some sort of "urban myth" around stopping people claiming benefits !

There is no order to turn down claims at all - in fact sometimes the opposite and there are actaully targets for getting new claims to various benefits.

What an order could be is to turn down claims that don't meet the strict criteria or where information has not been provided to the standard required. This is because the Public Accounts committee will class any "dodgy" claims as overpayments etc. Hence the headlines which arise each couple of years re DWP ovepays x millions in benefits ! (a lot of these so called overpayments are where the i's haven't been dotted and the t's crossed - actually not really monetary overpayments but admin failures.)

DWP staff get into terrible grief if they create overpayments - so you can see where the myth arises.

- and the only people who can change the benefit rules are ministers and MPs - so please don't blame DWP staff - most of them really do their best on minimum wages.

Thats my rant for the day . Sorry Helena.

Regards

Germain

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Can I ask a question,

Eric is not walking well..as I've posted in tea-room am assuming this is due to his dementia..is he therefore eligible for DLA for mobility?

And how do I go about getting this..to be able to park in "Disabled" parking places would be so helpful...

love gigi xx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear gigi,
Peter was awarded D.L.A. first at the lower rate and when he deteriorated, was granted Higer Rate.
Also Peter was eligble for Blue Badge Scheme.

Best wishes
Christine

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thanks Christine..

How do we apply for Blue Badge Scheme..is it via the GP?

He's too old for DLA..I think..am not after money..but parking privileges would help enormously...

Love gigi xx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi gigi,
Ring up your Local Council and ask for the Blue Badge Department.
They will send a form out, sorry it is another form to fill in but it is straight forward.
Best Wishes
Christine

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Blue Badge..

Thanks for the link, Sylvia..

Am not convinced that Eric would qualify!

It certainly would benefit him..

When I have time may explore further...:rolleyes:

Love gigi xx

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Thanks for all your replies.
Nebiroth, I will seek assistance. I will contact CAB and Age Concern to see who will offer advice.
Helena, not too sure my SW is up to it. In 6 months I have just achieved 2 day care breaks a month. Just. Everything else gets turned down.
Sue (Twink) Sorry to hear Steve had those seizures, but it sounds like he has settled and is happier.
Gigi. I managed to get a blue badge, and it makes a huge difference, providing you can find a disabled bay. The big problem I had and stated on the form, was that I would park in a clear area, but when we returned, there would be cars parked so close that it was impossible to open my car doors wide enough to help Susan into the car. She does not "know" how to lift a leg into the car and then put her bum on the seat and swing in. Yes she struggles to walk and needs lot of support, but it was the in and out of the car that really needed the agility that sufferers do not seem to have. We stopped going out because there were too many occasions when I had to ask passer-bys to watch / hold Susan while I pulled the car out into the "open" so that I could open the door fully and then help / guide her into the seat. The form can be downloaded from the web. There is a small charge and a passport photo is required. Again, as in many instances, give the worse case scenario. We have found the badge very helpful and useful. Goodluck.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thanks Cris!

She does not "know" how to lift a leg into the car and then put her bum on the seat and swing in.
That's interesting..Eric is evidently going down the same route with this
I thought it was because he was losing strength in his legs..maybe it's not..maybe it's down to loss of "motor skills"..sorry..no pun intended!

I'll certainly give this a try..
Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Gigi,

From what you`ve said about Eric`s mobility, I`m sure you would qualify for a Blue Badge, if you filled the forms in correctly.

You said sometimes when he gets up from his chair, he falls back again. Does that also happen in when he tries to get out of the car?

His walking is poor and disabled parking baysand closer to exits and entrances, surely it would mean an easier route for him.

Also as cris said about Susan, difficulties with co-ordination and manoeverability make getting in and out of the car a struggle.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thanks Sylvia,

I know you're right..I only hesitate because I'm not sure how Eric would take it...:eek:

He would see the advantages..but resist being labelled..
I'll have to approach it very tactfully..and perhaps wait until he mellows again.

I may fill in the form anyway..if I'm allowed..on his behalf..and see what happens.

It's hideous having to do things behind his back..I hate it..:(..but know sometimes it's for the best...

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s typical isn`t it.
So many people use Blue badges under false pretences, and the one who would really be helped have to be persuaded.