Dividing assets between family.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Dear all,

My Uncle died in February this year and the solicitor is working on dad's behalf over the selling of the flat. The usual stuff.

I got an email from the solicitor saying that I am a Benificiary which I knew about and will receive 16.666% of any assets once the flat is sold etc. Where do they get the strange % from? He wasn't married. I assume dad will get most of it since he is his brother. Which is fair.

Thanks, have a good day.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
It must have been in his will. You're due to get 1/6 of the assets which explains the strange %.
Often people don't know how much they will have to leave so it's done in percentage terms.
You may find that your uncle split it so your dad will receive say, half, and the rest between any other nephews and nieces or friends.
How nice of your uncle to remember you and want to leave you something. He must have been fond of you.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
It must have been in his will. You're due to get 1/6 of the assets which explains the strange %.
Often people don't know how much they will have to leave so it's done in percentage terms.
You may find that your uncle split it so your dad will receive say, half, and the rest between any other nephews and nieces or friends.
How nice of your uncle to remember you and want to leave you something. He must have been fond of you.

Thanks for the info. Makes more sense now. Yes, it is lovely. I was very fond of him, my favourite uncle. I have never been left anything even by my godmother. ..that's another story though. Families! !

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej