Disturbed sleep

Angtrog

Mar 25, 2020
My OH now is in a different stage of his dementia, he has gone from wanting to go home on a night and a morning to waking up on a night every hour and disturbing me . We sleep in different bedrooms so we didnt disturb each other but for the past 2 weeks now he wakes up every hour shouting either hello or help if I ingnore him he starts singing and we have neighbours on one side of us. I feel exhausted on a morning when I get up. He usually goes to bed around about 9.00 pm he is shattered and I try and keep him up for as long as possible for this reason . around about 1.00 am it starts every hour I manage to get him back into bed even thou he wants to be up but by 5.30 am he is getting sick of laying in bed so I get up with him make him a coffee put the tv on and go back to bed myself for an hour. His mobality is very poor it seems to have got worse over the last few months so he doesnt do much exercise, he cant read anymore as he has lost the skills to do that jigsaws are out of the question as he has rheumatoid arthritis. When he wakes up he is asking me where every one else has gone and I tell him calmly that there is only you and me in the house. I am at my wits end now because Im so tired has any one got any suggestions ?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
could you speak to the gp to see if there is anything he can help to help calm him down. its hard as i have neighbours attatched one side and sound carries so much more during the night when its quiet.has he got a tv or radio in his room you could put on so he has company?

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Drugs! Seriously - for him, not you. Mum used to do the same. She would be up every hour, and although she slept in between, I didn't. She now takes mirtazipine, quetiapine, plus lorazepam if necessary. Speak to his GP, and don't play down how much of an impact this is having on your life.

Angtrog

Mar 25, 2020
Thanks for your advice jennifer 1967 and lollyo hoping to see the doctor next week

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
I have a similar problem, I still share the bed with my Husband so that I know when he gets out of bed to go to the toilet in the night because he can't find it and doesn't know what to do when he gets there, if I don't go with him he wee's in the bath or the wash basin or doesn't take his pants and trousers down. He is unable to speak so can't call me if I was in another room. I do have to sort out the spare rooms so that I can move in there if necessary, I do find it a worry that I got into such a mess, but I have been struggling for the last 18/20 years and the last 5 have been particularly difficult and I struggle sometimes to look after all his needs and mine whilst trying to get three meals day, washing and ironing etc.

Things have improved a bit since I stopped giving him anything to drink after 6.00 pm, he only gets up at midnight and 4.00 am instead of 4 times. Problem is getting enough fluids into him in the hours he is awake in the day, he won't drink unless I am sat with him reminding him to drink.

Angtrog

Mar 25, 2020
Hi Jan L Wow you have done remarkably well to look after your husband all that time Im only in 8 months of him being diagnosed with vascular dementia and Im sick of the ground hog day business . I take my hat off to you you are doing a really good job Have you got any carers coming in ? If my OH doesnt drink much during the day I give him an ice lolly always have a good supply in the freezer he will have one of those.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951