district nurses

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Does anyone else have a problem?
2 weeks ago we had a new mattress to take care of pressure sore on his bum. After three days I finally got the DN to come and check it was set up correctly- one of the carers and I set it up because in spite of telling the DN exactly when it was arriving they didn't respond to my calls. So when they did check it they said we will pop in next week and check how things are. So I got a phone call , not a visit and said there were red patches coming and going so I wasn't' t sure. Are the carers worried-they are as unsure as I am. Oh well keep an eye on it and call us if you are worried.
This am carers and I were concerned that there is an expanding purple patch where the sore is. So I phoned, could you come and check please. That was at 9am, so far no response at all. This happens every time - I thought the emphasis was on supporting keeping people at home?
Is it just me ? I finish up confined to the house for days, can't even take the dog out. But it keeps on happening
Not only do I have problems physically turning oh but he resists anything he doesn't want to do because he doesn't remember why it's important. Sound familiar? There is equipment that can help but how am I supposed to access it without the DNs help? I feel a complaint coming on!!!

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Hello bemused1

Pressure sores can be very serious and life threatening if not treated correctly. A person needs to be turned regularly to relieve the pressure. If complications develop and an infection starts, bacteria can enter the bloodstream through broken skin and the sufferer can develop septicaemia (blood poisoning) and die, which is exactly what happened to my mum because of the poor care in the home she was in did not treat this type of sore. I had to get her out of the place and into hospital. Sadly, she died, this was given as one of the causes of her death on the death certificate and coroner said she had been neglected.

I hope I have not alarmed you too much, but pressure sores are very serious and cannot and should not be ignored. I know you are not ignoring it but the District Nurse does not sound too bothered and she should be.

You must insist that someone DN or other helps you with this problem immediately before it becomes a life threatening situation

Start complaining, loudly!.

I am aware how potentially serious this is left but it seems that because it's 'only'a stage one they can hold back until it is an open sore and needs dressing.
If I don' t get any responses tomorrow I will get the gp out and then I WILL start complaining

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Has there been a severe cutback in district nurses? My sister had major heart surgery before Christmas which was a success. The aftercare has been useless with a visit from DN then from two student nurses. Sister is now back in hospital with a Surgical Site Infection and very ill. This has happened in an area of Scotland with a very good NHS reputation. What is going on?

Edited today as I spoke with my sister who is going to be in for 6 to 8'weeks to cure this infection which should never have arisen or have been nipped in the bud by proper after care. High expense to the NHS. Thank God though she should be OK.

Last edited:

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
I think it depends on where you live because some people posting on here have had a very good service. Ours was rubbish. There has been a huge reduction in numbers nationally. 12,000 down to 5,000? Sorry, I can never remember numbers.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I must say ours have been very good and always say if I am worried about husbands legs blistering or sores breaking down to phone them and they always come out,

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Does anyone else have a problem?
2 weeks ago we had a new mattress to take care of pressure sore on his bum. After three days I finally got the DN to come and check it was set up correctly- one of the carers and I set it up because in spite of telling the DN exactly when it was arriving they didn't respond to my calls. So when they did check it they said we will pop in next week and check how things are. So I got a phone call , not a visit and said there were red patches coming and going so I wasn't' t sure. Are the carers worried-they are as unsure as I am. Oh well keep an eye on it and call us if you are worried.
This am carers and I were concerned that there is an expanding purple patch where the sore is. So I phoned, could you come and check please. That was at 9am, so far no response at all. This happens every time - I thought the emphasis was on supporting keeping people at home?
Is it just me ? I finish up confined to the house for days, can't even take the dog out. But it keeps on happening
Not only do I have problems physically turning oh but he resists anything he doesn't want to do because he doesn't remember why it's important. Sound familiar? There is equipment that can help but how am I supposed to access it without the DNs help? I feel a complaint coming on!!!

Someone was supposed to come and check my hubby's skin weeks ago, but never turned up. I reported it, and still, nothing. Ho-hum, I thought. They still don't care! and carried on regardless. What a nightmare, eh? It'll come to those who turn their backs, and then, they'll be put to it, trying to fight through a system that doesn't work.

Find whatever info you can on the Internet, and that old saying: If you want a good job doing, do it yourself - has saved me many sleepless nights.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hello bemused1

Pressure sores can be very serious and life threatening if not treated correctly. A person needs to be turned regularly to relieve the pressure. If complications develop and an infection starts, bacteria can enter the bloodstream through broken skin and the sufferer can develop septicaemia (blood poisoning) and die, which is exactly what happened to my mum because of the poor care in the home she was in did not treat this type of sore. I had to get her out of the place and into hospital. Sadly, she died, this was given as one of the causes of her death on the death certificate and coroner said she had been neglected.

I hope I have not alarmed you too much, but pressure sores are very serious and cannot and should not be ignored. I know you are not ignoring it but the District Nurse does not sound too bothered and she should be.

You must insist that someone DN or other helps you with this problem immediately before it becomes a life threatening situation

Start complaining, loudly!.

Lexy, we knew someone years ago who was left with an awful sore on his lower spine. It got so bad because of clueless people that he ended up taking them to court. That's what needs to be threatened, in these cases; the carer threatening with legal action if nothing ia done if it needs to be done, and people can't be bothered. I'd fully support that. It's called getting justice.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So sorry to read about the lack of care. Our DNs work thru the GP's surgery. Can you make a phone appt with him and see if he can 'speed them along'. A polite way of putting it.

Sent from my GT-N5110

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
,better news. Nurse came late this pm, so only a short while confined to the house. They are ordering a ToTo turning device which will turn him regularly and take the worry of turning him off me. But why does it have to be so hard, over a year its taken to get the correct equipment in place and its not for want of trying. Anyway I hope all goes well and we get no more skin problems.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Talking Point mobile app

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Oh, fingers crossed Bemused.
Everything is a struggle isn't it?

I was captured on phone by a speech and language therapist this morning, who saw son in ...September? brought a book with sticky symbols for him to 'learn' :confused: about time, in an attempt to 'manage' his anxiety.

Haven't seen the colour of her since September and he put all the signs in a pringle tube and deposited poo on the top, like butter sealing a pate... but she rang for an update on how 'well' he was doing.

I was fighting to get him out for an appointment with the nurse at the time so I'm afraid instead of the pat on the back and the thanks she was expecting, I told her it had all been a waste of my time, son's time and precious resources.

Took the wind RIGHT out of her sails.
Cheered me up, anyway. :)

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the 'cavalry'. x

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Oh, fingers crossed Bemused.
Everything is a struggle isn't it?

I was captured on phone by a speech and language therapist this morning, who saw son in ...September? brought a book with sticky symbols for him to 'learn' :confused: about time, in an attempt to 'manage' his anxiety.

Haven't seen the colour of her since September and he put all the signs in a pringle tube and deposited poo on the top, like butter sealing a pate... but she rang for an update on how 'well' he was doing.

I was fighting to get him out for an appointment with the nurse at the time so I'm afraid instead of the pat on the back and the thanks she was expecting, I told her it had all been a waste of my time, son's time and precious resources.

Took the wind RIGHT out of her sails.
Cheered me up, anyway. :)

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the 'cavalry'. x

Love your sense of humour Garnuft. I used to work with children with disabilities and facilitated a group for carers. The funniest group of women I've ever come across. I don't know how they/you do it but I try to take it as an inspiration.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Gwen how do you do it? Laugh as well. It should not be like this for anyone.
Respect dear lady

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
If I had had any strength left in me after the battle I had with my mum's dementia I would have wanted to take this care home to Court and make them pay for their incompetence. There are many words I could use to describe this home (rated excellent by CQC) but they would not be allowed on this forum. Clueless is a another good way of describing them. I suppose there was some justice, the care home manager got the sack and one of the senior nursing staff turned out to be an alcoholic and also got the boot.

That's just how everything got me in the end. No fight left. It's why I go it alone, now, as there are too many untrained people here. Even in hospital, they don't want to know any more about the dementia. I got to the point, long ago when I just said to myself: Enough. I have worked in a nursing home before, and know what to look for. If anything like a sore develops, I'll ring the emergency services.

jennypie

Jan 5, 2014
North yorkshire
Oh dear Bemused I'm so sorry you have had a bad experience with your district nurse this is very close to me as I am a district nurse also a care for my partner who has Alzheimers as a dn our priority is to prevent pressure sores and the treatment you have had is totally unacceptable and hopefully never happens again. In my area you would of had a visit to check the mattress was in place and working ASAP as in the same day and any reports of skin deterioration the same so I am very surprised!

ASH74

May 18, 2014
We had to push the GP to get FIL DN services but once in they provided excellent holistic care .......it used amuse my FIL greatly that they always checked his bottom (for pressure marks) he always commented "it's me foot that's sore" he then took to dropping his trousers as soon as the nurse was in the door! Unfortunately with me standing there on more than one occasion!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Jennypie thank you for the other side of the situation. I have to say I was surprised to have such poor response from the DNs. I know they have a zero policy in this area on pressure sores. In fairness I have learned recently that they have been 'streamlined' with a lot of moving around so I am hoping it is something that will disappear.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976