Nurse - Am I late?
Me - Yes you are supposed to be here at 9, thats the arrangement
Nurse - What time is it?
Me - Its 5 to Ten
Nurse - I dont think so
Me - .....what?

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
Please don't be too hard on the district nurses. They may have had an emergency with their previous patient and as I have a best friend who is a district nurse I know she would stay and sort them out, be it a fall or call an ambulance or sort someone's insulin for them.
They are also given very little time between patients so find it physically difficult to stay on schedule.
No excuse for being surly or rude but we all buckle under pressure in different ways.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
The district nurses try their best under very difficult circumstances.
When my mum died two of them were here for hours with us. They were amazing.
They have to prioritise.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
I understand the pressures...i really do

But this has been going on since 2012 and i have had meetings with Management regarding Daily Visits and timings and so on -

Dealing with the same issues on an almost Daily basis is becoming impossible

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I agree that their schedules are almost impossible and our DNs are fantastic BUT other people have lives too and if no-one complains it will never change so keep complaining but perhaps formally rather than on the doorstep ?

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
@fizzie
Formal complaint was made in December - Response was worthless - am waiting on a "resolution meeting" to be set up by a Full Time Advocate - Then Ombudsman - Then a full time Journalist is interested if no resolution is met.

I am also concerned about Elderly people who are on their own and receive this service - they may have no one to speak up for them. I imagine many are living with "random" visits everyday and missed Blood tests and incomplete assessment records, not forgetting numerous "no shows" where the Nurse doesnt turn up at all

Thats the service I receive

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Oh goodness your service is awful - we've never had no shows. That is very frightening and dangerous. Well done you. Your local paper will be interested but I'm sure you've got that covered.

With all you are doing I'm surprised that you haven't had a more even response! Some of the London Boroughs are appalling but by contrast some are excellent - so random!

Well done, hat off! Do let us know how it goes

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
district nurses are gems...they have unpredictable work load and patients, so times cannot be exact..lucky to have them coming is my thoughts, they are invaluable

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
district nurses are gems...they have unpredictable work load and patients, so times cannot be exact..lucky to have them coming is my thoughts, they are invaluable

I agree but 'no shows' are completely unacceptable in any service dealing with vulnerable people. Obviously from what Byrne has said this service is no 'gem'

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
I have a good relationship with most of the Nurses that visit but i would have to agree that the service you receive depends on where you live - and that is a sad thing to say in 2016.

The service i receive in London is appalling - badly run. disorganised. potentially dangerous and after making a Formal complaint immune to criticism

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I agree but 'no shows' are completely unacceptable in any service dealing with vulnerable people. Obviously from what Byrne has said this service is no 'gem'

I clearly meant the nurses were gems..not the service. I agree no show with no warning is not ok