DISTRESSING VISIT TO SEE MUM

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hello to everyone. I will post as best I can under the circumstances. Last Friday I received a call from the hospital doctor informing me that mum had taken a turn for the worse. This am (Friday) she was having choking fits on her food and drink. Had a high temperature and the hospital thought she had another infection! It was only the day before I had phoned the hospital and was told mum was doing better. She was being taken off IV fluids and her OBS were fine. Then this happens .... I was told by the doctor that mum was very sick. They thought it was pneumonia but were not sure. She was put on some very strong antibiotics. I made the decision to go and see mum as I knew deep down if I hadn't I would have regretted it.

It was a longer than normal journey but I saw my mum. She had lost more weight. She was so tiny. I mean there was nothing left of her 3 weeks or so ago. She was sleeping a lot of the time. I stroked her hand and told her that I would be there for her all the time. Tears rolled down my face and I cried and cried. Like I'm doing now as I'm writing this. She did wake up a little and tried to say something to me but the words could not come out. She made some noises as if she was crying. I just kept saying it's me mum and my name. I kissed her on her forehead and I left. I wasn't sure whether that was it ..... Although the nurses did inform me that she was better then she was in the morning.

The doctor has informed me that mum is very frail and very unwell. She is not sure whether mum will survive this infection. I am more than heartbroken is really all I can say.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry to hear this @Roman223 It`s really upsetting to experience this and nothing anyone says can make it better.
I just hope your mum is being kept as comfortable as possible and pain free. .

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I remember this stage well. Its all you can do to not just sob. Your mum does sound like a fighter though sometimes that’s not a good thing to see. As long as she is being kept comfortable & pain free that’s the main thing. You don’t want to lose her but you don’t want to see the continuing state of decline so just tell her it’s ok to go now & that you will be ok, even if you know you won’t be. We told mum this although I’m not sure she heard us but it was our way of ‘opening the door’ for her to go through.
Its a traumatic time for loved ones but somehow you do find the strength to carry on.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @Roman223
Such a difficult time. I hope your mum is being kept pain free and comfortable

Dont forget to eat and sleep
xx

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I’m so sorry to hear this, @Roman223 ? I wish I could say something that will make you feel better but watching your Mum suffer like this and losing your Mum are both heartbreaking ?. Thinking of you though x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @Roman223
Such a difficult time. I hope your mum is being kept pain free and comfortable

Dont forget to eat and sleep
xx