Distressed

lindamwal

May 30, 2008
This is the first time I have ever used a forum -My father is now in care home I think in the final stages of alzheimers and as a family we have managed to cope mainly because he was physically active - upto 8 days ago my father was walking up and down the corridors for hours and hours every day occasionally he laughed and made sense and enjoyed his food - he no longer walks and he cannot get up he shouts the same sound all the time - touch him and his whole body shakes so violently that you cannot hold him and tonight we have been informed that the carers have put him onto a soft diet and put him to bed and feel that it is unsafe to try and get him up again even with a hoist - no one seems to be able to tell us why the sudden change or if he is aware of the violent shaking - has anyone experienced this - do you know wh he is shaking - we are desperate to find an answer to see him like this is heartbreaking

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry LInda.
I have no experience of this but can only imagine how upsetting it is to witness.
I hope someone else might have an answer for you.
Love xx

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Linda,
And Welcome to TP. This sounds a very sudden change in dad...though I know my mum quickly went from walking constantly to being unable to stand independently. Has dad been checked out for any other infections.... a water infection can severly affect mental function? I am sure others will come up with more ideas.....what I wouldnt do is accept that dad is now bedridden...it just doesnt 'feel' right.....and that might be a daft thing to say, but its just a gut reaction.
Let us know how things go.
Love Helen

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi Linda,
Just to say I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad is in the same stage as you describe your Dad before his deterioration - walking the corridors for hours, enjoying his food, occasionally smiling, although often sad. It must be awful to see such a sudden deterioration - has no one said why it might have happened?
Please keep in touch - I am sure someone here will be able to give you good advice.
Carolyn

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Linda,

The night before my Dad went into hospital he was shaking and it seems this was related to an infection. Has your Dad been tested for infection? It may be the reason for a sudden deterioration. Is he running a temperature?

I hope you get some answers soon.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Linda,
How is dad today?
Does anyone else have any experience of this...or suggest questions that Linda should be asking of the Care Home and medical profession?
Love Helen

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi Linda,
If I was in your position, I would ask for Doctor to come and also request for any infections.
Check to see if any medication has been altered. Fluid intake.

You have a right to see the Care Plan and if you are not happy please don't left them fobb you off because you want answers and you should receive them.

Do hope that it is just one of those off days that our loved ones often have.

Please let us know how your Dad is.

Best wishes
Christine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Linda

My guess too would be an infection.

When john had his first UTI he was shaking like that, the nurse thought he was going to have a seizure.

He also lost all balance, it's frightening how suddenly that can happen.

It may be the best thing to keep him in bed for now. I know when John's balance went, he couldn't sit upright in a chair. It's only because he has a tilt and recline chair now that he is able to get out of bed at all. They use a hoist to move him, and there's no problem with that. It could be that they will have to find a suitable chair for your dad, if he doesn't regain his balance.

Let us know how it goes,