Distressed Dad

Worriedone

Dec 10, 2011
My mum used to be such a chatterbox, so it is hard to see her sitting, saying nothing. If she is addressed directly she will sometimes answer. Most of the time she speaks it is completely random and has nothing to do with the conversation that is going on.
On occasions it is gibberish. What my dad finds so distressing is when he asks mum something and she completely blanks him. We don't think she is going deaf as she can and does respond to us. She does the same thing to me but as I am not there all the time I can shrug off, but day after day it is getting dad down, (amongst the rest of the things she does)!

Mum watches tv all day. Dad tried to get her listening to music (some of her favourite crooners), but when he left the room after they'd heard a CD, the CD player was gone and he found it upstairs in a bedroom!
:)

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
It frustrated my late father too.

We tried asking a question that contained the answer, so she didn't have to process too much and the words were there for her to use

''What would you like for lunch?'' - No answer
''Would you like a cheese sandwich or a ham sandwich?'' Usually did . ''Ham please''

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It's just something that happens with this illness I'm afraid.
Your mother isn't being deliberately awkward, she just isn't always able to assimilate the question especially if her mind is elsewhere.
That's why you will often get a response that has absolutley no bearing on the topic being discussed or suggested.

I'm a bit confused myself as it says you are a new user so I would normally welcome you but it also says that you joined nearly 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
My mum always looks blank. Especially if there are more than a couple of us in the room. She is slightly deaf, was given a hearing aid but couldn't(wouldn't) use it and took it back.
It is frustrating as now she tends to get excluded from conversations as she has nothing to add.
She is noticibly better if we see her in the morning and on a one-to-one basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayeLay