Dist

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Although I have been caring for my husband for several years, I have only just come across the DIST team , Dementia Intensive Support Team. They seem to cover East Anglia, and mention is made of something similar in Wales. I don't know if they are anywhere else in the country.
It is part of the Mental Health Team. OHs name was forwarded to them yesterday as part of our visit to A&E. The first phone call came before we had arrived home, though I must admit we did stop for coffee! I was phoned again this am and I think if I had said I wanted him in a home NOW, they would have done so!
I have been looking at the website (Google DIST) and was pretty impressed. They deal, for instance, with emergencies such as violence. As it's a mental health department they seem to realise that a person can have more than one mental health problem at a time.
There is even a section on things to do when you visit a doctor, things like make lists, take a responsible person with you, get doc to write things down for you.
One comment I liked, and we've all met docs like this, say to them
'I'm not asking you to talk to me, I'm just asking you to listen to me. What you then do with the information is up it you!'

It may be an idea to find out where your local DIST team, or equivalent is. It may be a lifesaver!

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Thanks Spamar, we don't seem to have one in BathNES but it sounds brilliant. Wonder if it'll have to be rolled out nationally now there are new rules in place?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Not sure about now , but we used to have a crisis team specifically for dementia related things . One of my Admiral nurses left to join this team as she wanted to be more hands on

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
There is apparently one in South Essex. The original DIST was piloted in West Suffolk but it seems to be up to individual HCT's whether they organise one or not. The ones that have done so (mainly Norfolk/Suffolk) seem to be very positive about their effectiveness so hopefully :rolleyes: it will get taken up by many more areas sooner rather than later. But probably not! :mad:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It might Essie, don't forget the new care act says they have to look after us as well!
Even with all the help we've had over the years, I've never seen things happen as fast, help wise, as they are at the moment!

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
It might Essie, don't forget the new care act says they have to look after us as well!
Even with all the help we've had over the years, I've never seen things happen as fast, help wise, as they are at the moment!

I'm so pleased for you Spamar, grab it all with both hands, contacts, help, whatever they are offering. You do an absolutely sterling job but there will, from what you've said, come a time when the current set up will have to change and whatever you can put in place now - even if it's not time for the actual changes yet, will hopefully make it smoother as and when it needs to happen. It is a relief isn't it when help is actually there - caring can be so isolating and very lonely sometimes. So pleased it's some good news for you. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti