1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. Greysky

Greysky Registered User

May 15, 2013
    Hi
    I was wondering if anybody had experiences of their loved ones with dementia have talked about feeling their body doesn't feel part of them? My mum reports daily that she wished she could take her body and put it to one side as it doesn't feel like it belongs to her. I wonder if this is a common symptom of dementia.
    Thank you.

2. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Might be the same, but for a long time mum would believe there were two of me and would sometimes refer to herself as the other one that would not get out of bed. Also odd behaviour when looking at herself in the mirror. The other her has gone, but there is still 2 of me.

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    My wife used to claim that her right arm had become disconnected and was floating away, it upset her because she could not catch it with her left hand as that arm had tremors.

Seeing two of people was very common - not double vision, two presences in different parts of the room - but she calmly accepted that.

4. Tara62

Tara62 Registered User

Yes, my late mother used to say this all the time, including the bit about wanting to put her body to one side.

5. Greysky

Greysky Registered User

May 15, 2013
    Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late response. It is comforting to know that my mum is not the only one to have this experience. I try and normalise it for her and as the day goes on this out of body experience reduces.