Disposal of old medications

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
My Mam used to stockpile medications before she used the blister packs. I have a couple of carrier bags full of tablets which I intend taking into the chemist for safe disposal.
Before I do this I wondered if anyone knows of any alternatives. It seems such a waste x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I asked this recently and it seems that even unopened they can't be re-used, like you I had a pile of things my mother never took and my cousin had an even bigger pile my Aunt had stockpiled, it makes you wonder (and I did ask at the time) how much it costs the NHS and how much research is based on the assumption that everything prescribed is taken. Take them back to the chemist for safe disposal is the only answer.
K

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I asked this recently and it seems that even unopened they can't be re-used, like you I had a pile of things my mother never took and my cousin had an even bigger pile my Aunt had stockpiled, it makes you wonder (and I did ask at the time) how much it costs the NHS and how much research is based on the assumption that everything prescribed is taken. Take them back to the chemist for safe disposal is the only answer.
K

I once counted over 60 prescription items, maybe 4 or 5 different things, stockpiled in a friend's bathroom. Such a waste. He kept trying to give me a couple of them - bland moisturiser type stuff. I asked him why on earth he keeps taking them when he's got so many already - just tell the chemist you don't need it this time. No reply. But he is a hoarder of other things, too.
Last visit, they were nearly all gone - another friend who is an ex nurse had made him get rid of them all. Such a waste - makes me so mad.

Being over a certain age he gets it all free - I am sure this wouldn't happen if he had to pay anything since he is pretty tight, though not short of cash.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Our surgery, from where we get our prescription medicines, recycles unopened packs to third world countries, I think this is a national scheme.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I used to take unopened meds to Romania and worked with a local GP surgery (one of the GPS was one of our trustees) It was a fantastic resource despite being a nightmare at various Customs!

However, many places stopped it because there was a query as to how the medicines might have been stored in a home (particularly in relation to heat) and many places stopped it. TBH, I think it was a bit of an over reaction to the possibility so it's good if it does still happen.

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
Oooh you clever people. Thank you so much, I am really pleased that there is common sense re the disposal of the medications. I shall send them next week. Just hate waste
Rose x