Disposal of incontinence pants?

crybaby

Jan 8, 2017
I was advised by the District Nurse that I should not put used incontinence pads, carers rubber gloves, disposable undersheets, etc etc in our normal household waste bin, as there is a separate collection for clinical waste.

I rang the council waste department, where a very helpful young man explained that yes, they provide yellow bags for clinical waste, collected every week, at the crack of dawn. They don't provide a bin, but apparently foxes and other wild life won't go anywhere near the yellow bags.

They provided me with two yellow bags, and from then on, they will replace how many you use with the same number of empty bags. I stick them in an old crate, at the end of the drive on a Wednesday night, and usually they've been collected by the time I get up in the morning.

I didn't need any referral from anybody. It is a free service, paid for from the council tax.

Well worth just trying ringing up your council waste department and asking about clinical waste collections.

Good luck

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
My problem is that I have so many very heavy pads and pants, at least 5 every day. I bag them and put them in the green bin. When it is time for the fortnight collection the bin is really very heavy and I struggle to move it. Problem is that we live in a house in a drive of 3 houses and I have to put the bin in the street, at the end of the drive. We are of course at the top of the drive!
The drive has a sharp incline and I struggle to move the green bin and I know I’m going to come a cropper one of these days. It will be a nightmare in the snow and ice. I’m 73 and not that able myself, and have nobody to help me.
I have read that some councils deliver bags for you to use, but I’m not sure I want to advertise to the whole neighbourhood that my OH incontinent. And are the bags vermin proof? Even though I bag the pads the bin gets pretty smelly, surely plastic bags would attract vermin? I’m sorry if you think this is paltry, but advice would be welcome.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Can you ask the council for a 2nd green bin [bit confusing, because my green bin is for garden/compost waste] I have Just ordered a 2nd black bin - £40 extra, but had to do it.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Yes, I got a second bin, so if the first one is too heavy (and it does get really heavy sometimes!) then I put a few bags into the second one. If they won't provide you with a second bin then I would push them to provide another solution. Not sure what that would be, but you can't be expected to struggle with a heavy bin, or empty it, move it, and then wander up and down with the bags. The policy here is one bin only for normal waste, which is where they told me to put it, but in special circumstances, like someone dealing with incontinence waste, then they agree to a second bin (which you have to buy!).

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Here in Sheffield we get an annual leaflet with collection dates and other info. It says to contact them if you can't put your own bins out for age or medical reasons. Worth asking in your area.

Its the same here, if you cannot get your bin to their preferred collection point then you have to inform them and disability is at the top of their list for assistance.

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Thank you all for your help. I will get in touch with the council tomorrow to see if they can help. But I’m minded to dump them into a strong black bag and take them to the tip every 4 days or so. If the council are not prepared to collect our bin from the house, and they have refused to come up the communal drive for 30 years, then it is safer to visit the tip regularly than end up skidding down the drive, bin upside down, me legs akimbo, flying into the road. Gosh, made myself laugh, like a reverse Mary Poppins!

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
My problem is that I have so many very heavy pads and pants, at least 5 every day. I bag them and put them in the green bin. When it is time for the fortnight collection the bin is really very heavy and I struggle to move it. Problem is that we live in a house in a drive of 3 houses and I have to put the bin in the street, at the end of the drive. We are of course at the top of the drive!
The drive has a sharp incline and I struggle to move the green bin and I know I’m going to come a cropper one of these days. It will be a nightmare in the snow and ice. I’m 73 and not that able myself, and have nobody to help me.
I have read that some councils deliver bags for you to use, but I’m not sure I want to advertise to the whole neighbourhood that my OH incontinent. And are the bags vermin proof? Even though I bag the pads the bin gets pretty smelly, surely plastic bags would attract vermin? I’m sorry if you think this is paltry, but advice would be welcome.
Hi Joanna
I think you can ask the Council to take the bin from its usual place , empty it and return it. They did this every week for my Dad

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
How does everyone manage the disposal of used incontinence pants?
I can't fit them in my household waste bin....

I buy incontinence pants for my dad as advised these are better than the pads for dementia patients. The problem is disposal of them. . apparently as I buy the pants I cannot be referred to the councils medical disposal service?

Council tell me my dad needs to be referred for the collection via a letter or form from either his GP or District Nurse Continence team. The GP has never heard of a form and is unwilling to help further and the District Nurse admin I spoke to says that as they do not provide the pants (due to budget cuts) they cannot refer either? I feel like I am running in ever decreasing circles any suggestions please?
I requested an extra bin free of charge,it was that or a larger bin that they offered but the extra bin gave more volume,your LA should be able to do this as it's a medical problem

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
I get two a day on prescription but buy more on line,as not too good on recycling
Often take a couple of bags to the tip
and the dustbin takes the rest!covered up
By recycling items!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Where I am you certainly shouldn’t put pads into a recycling bin. Into the non recyclable bin, maybe. Our councils issues a separate bin for pads etc, collected separately..

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I looked up the policy for my local council on line. They state incontinence pads and nappies are not clinical waste and can be disposed of in the household rubbish bin, tho' of course council guidelines vary in different areas. I guess if you think about it there are millions of households who wouldn't even think about having to dispose of babies nappies in any other way.

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Hi Joanna

I think you can ask the Council to take the bin from its usual place , empty it and return it. They did this every week for my Dad
Thank you.... burly bin men collect from garden and return. They are brilliant. Excellent.
Thank you B xx