Displacement feelings

malview

Nov 19, 2014
My husband has Parkinson's and associated dementia which has been fairly manageable, but in the last 2 weeks he has become convinced he is not in his own home. Although he recognises everything in our home he says it is a 'carbon copy' and he wants to go home. He spends his days going round the house collecting things up to take with us when we go home. No amount of reasoning or talking about the garden, neighbours etc convinces him. He just says it doesn't feel right. My son lives with us and we have tried taking Keith out and bringing him back. He settles for a while, but then starts moving things again. Our GP has visited and carried out blood tests, but these seem clear. This is all pretty exhausting as I have to try to watch him all the time in case he picks up anything unsafe, eg razors which he puts in his pocket.
I realise there is probably nothing I can say to him to make him understand, but would be interested in other people's experiences.
Malview

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Well, I was going to suggest infection, but obviously not. Could you get him to CPN or consultant for change of medication?
However, this type of thing seems to be a phase many go through. Kept being vigilant!
I'm sure there will be more positive answers soon.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Hi Malview, and welcome to TP, my OH also has Parkinson's and we are going to discuss with Doc tomorrow if progressing to something more serious, he is forgetful, and I'm sure sundowning, but it the following me about that gets to me.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum doesnt have this, but Ive read about it here on TP.
Someone posted saying that it had an actual name - something-or-another syndrome, but I cant find it and I cant remember who posted it.
I do remember her saying that the problem is that the bit of the memory that attaches emotional significance to the object is damaged by the dementia so the person looks at something/someone and can recognise it/them, but there is no emotional feeling so they think it cant be the real thing.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
My husband has Parkinson's and associated dementia which has been fairly manageable, but in the last 2 weeks he has become convinced he is not in his own home. Although he recognises everything in our home he says it is a 'carbon copy' and he wants to go home. He spends his days going round the house collecting things up to take with us when we go home. No amount of reasoning or talking about the garden, neighbours etc convinces him. He just says it doesn't feel right. My son lives with us and we have tried taking Keith out and bringing him back. He settles for a while, but then starts moving things again. Our GP has visited and carried out blood tests, but these seem clear. This is all pretty exhausting as I have to try to watch him all the time in case he picks up anything unsafe, eg razors which he puts in his pocket.
I realise there is probably nothing I can say to him to make him understand, but would be interested in other people's experiences.
Malview

Hi!

My dad has dementia with lewy bodies which is symptoms of alzheimers and parkinsons.
I am aware that people with parkinsons can develop dementia but not all people.

There is one common thing that when dementia affects the brain the logic number facts reason etc gets affected first. The side of the brain that control emotions and feelings stays intact longer.
So if the memories have been affected logically everything will be understood through the emotional side. Imagine trying to understand a daily event you can't remember and having to use your emotions to make sense.

Different diagnosises affect people differently. If your husbands memory was in his earlier years.. (look at the bookcase senator on society factsheets). He might be right in saying that's not your house..did you move before..did he live somewhere else and that's the era his memory is at??
The stage to where the disease has affected his brain you might have had different decor! Or is his memory part damaged to when he was a young lad?..His home would be his mum and dads.
It must be so emotional being the body of a grown adult in 2015 and your memory in your younger years and trying to understand with your emotions.

Maybe chatting about possessions or observing like you are the things he packs or talks about might give you more clues...like how his previous home would've looked and what his favourite room was..take ideas from that if it comforts him.

These are all just suggestions bit worth looking at and like everyone on tp thought it's worth taking 5 mins to type it.

Best wishes

All that is possible.
Of

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Mum doesnt have this, but Ive read about it here on TP.
Someone posted saying that it had an actual name - something-or-another syndrome, but I cant find it and I cant remember who posted it.
I do remember her saying that the problem is that the bit of the memory that attaches emotional significance to the object is damaged by the dementia so the person looks at something/someone and can recognise it/them, but there is no emotional feeling so they think it cant be the real thing.

Yes, this can happen when seeing with people too. They recognise the face but do not feel the expected emotional response so surmise that the person is an imposter, a look-alike, rather than the person they know.

AndyL

Sep 2, 2015
Hi,
My mother is exactly the same!
At the present time we do not have a diagnosis, she has had a memory assessment and brain scan but not had a follow up appt yet.
My mother states that it isn't her house and that she wants to go back home. She knows everything is the same as her house but wonders why she brought so much of her stuff with her and how she is going to get it home. She has even packed a suitcase with random clothes and paperwork etc, then rings me to say she wants to go home.
It's started making her very irritable, depressed and tearful. It's very sad, as that is not like my mum I have no idea how to help her
AndyL

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream