Disgusting toilet habit

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
My mum has started a disgusting habit now. Her poo is normally almost rock hard and small, and sometimes comes out without her realising (I think this is a sign of constipation, we've been to the GP for previous similar issues).

My mum hallucinates and has for a while, seeing people round the house, and now she says there are people in the bathroom who want to "measure" the poo that come out, so she has taken to handling it, or putting it in her pocket etc. Sometimes she stands in the bathroom for a long time just holding the poo for these "people". I've tried explaining she should ignore them and just flush it away but it takes a while.

I'm almost slightly embarrassed for her (and me) to bring this up with my family/friends. Which when I type that seems stupid to say.
We still have regular checks with the clinic so think I will mention it to them.

Wondering if anyone has dealt with similar or has any suggestions.

I will get her to the GP about the suspected constipation.

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
I think this is very common. People with dementia etc,. seem to lose all inhibitions. Mum used to leave ‘poo presents’ in the tables in the lounge, some residents leave it in drawers. My husband used to pee in the sink. Trying to reason with them is useless but, nevertheless keep trying!
I am way past the getting embarrassed stage and so should everyone, these poor souls have an illness and need kindness, help and sympathy- there but for the grace of God go any one of us.
Difficult times ahead, keep posting and talking - believe me it helps.
Love and hugs xx

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Just like a child, peering into the potty and amazed by what is in there, but children learn and remember quickly the command 'don't'!
Dementia forgets, so no point saying don't do that.
If you had a pretty plastic tray in the bathroom and suggested she pop the poo onto that for the people to measure, would that work do you think?
I wouldn't want to mention it to family either, not because of embarrassment, but to preserve my mothers dignity in front of people who don't understand dementia; I wouldn't want them to think less of her.
We all know the treats in store for us carers, so mention away here, you can guarantee that someone has faced the problem before you.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
My OH used to o throw it in the genel that runs down the side of our house. It was lucky that no one was walking past at the time! Some did land on the house next door. It was stuck high up on the wall for quite some time before the rain washed it away!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife's favourite trick was to ram faeces down the plughole of the washbasin. It was incredibly difficult to get rid of. Finding it in the bath, all over the floor and on towels humming away on the hot towel rail were other variations. Plenty of stories about this but no real solutions I'm afraid.

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling I wouldn't be the only one to have had this particular problem!

Really glad I found this forum to share and read other carers/relatives experiences.

Ray96

Sep 29, 2018
I remember the time when I opened a drawer in mums bedroom and a terrible stench came out, inside was a parcel all nicely wrapped up with tissue paper and inside there was poo, I must say I was pretty shocked at first. It was a very difficult time with mum and a turning point when things started to get really bad and out of control. She then started falling over in the bathroom and eventually not even remembering what she went in there for or how to use the toilet, and even getting very aggressive when I would try to help her.