disagreeing powers of attorney

Sooty2

Jun 1, 2015
Hi ,
My husband holds power of attorney for his mothers financial and health and welfare decisions, his son also holds poa jointly with him, they have recently been disagreeing about certain aspects of her care, we have a domiciliary care company in twice a week, and have employed someone privately for three hours a week to keep her stimulated, take her shopping that sort of thing. My step son now seems to think he has the god given right to make decisions and disagree with much that we have done, I might add that we have managed alone for months with little help from anyone else, and I find this really irritating. He works in care himself and thinks he is a font of knowledge but dealing with the reality is very different and he has no clue of just how demanding and draining she can be, I feel resentful and angry and just want to scream sometimes.
Is this normal?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Is it normal to feel angry and resentful? Absolutely. Unless a person experiences this personally, it is very hard to truly understand the situation. As you've mentioned, there's a world of difference in working in care and having a loved one that requires care.

I think it would be very enlightening for your stepson to do hands-on care of his grandmother for a weekend - Friday night to Monday morning. This may give him some idea of what you and your husband are up against.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
I think it would be very enlightening for your stepson to do hands-on care of his grandmother for a weekend - Friday night to Monday morning. This may give him some idea of what you and your husband are up against.

Yes, he's a care professional, and joint POA, he should share the caring load.

Bod
ps let us know if he steps up.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Hi Sooty2,
What a nightmare. I'm screaming for you.
I have 2 much older siblings but our folks refused to discuss their affairs with anyone but me. They also gave me POA and also refused to tell my siblings, their other children. Now my father has mixed dementia and siblings are really cross with me. Reading your post makes me glad it's just me. My siblings and I would never agree about the best care. They would have him in a home by now.
Sending you positive wishes, stay strong.