Disabled toilets

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Does anyone know how to discreetly access disabled toilets (or toilets for the disabled!)? Most of them are locked (why??), and attendants are not usually nearby.
The other point is, that I would not necessarily want to answer silly questions or even quizzical looks, as we don't use a wheelchair.
I am aware that my husband is not very confident any longer about using public lavatories (too many doors / bit like a maze, I imagine), and I know from his brother that on one occasion he was seen urinating in the nearest handbasin (thankfully, quite unaware of the scathing comments). When I have to 'spend a penny' myself, I worry that two minutes later, he will not be on the spot where I left him. It would all be so much simpler if we could just 'go' together without much fuss.
Any tips? - Thanks!
Carmen

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Its a difficult one isn't it. We found ourselves always going to places where we knew we could access toilets easily. Mum and I would have to take turns to "go" or to hover by the entrance to the gents waiting for Dad and sometimes he was in there for so long our minds were racing away with "what ifs". Its another one of those situations where so much preparation has to go into such a (previously) simple task.

Sorry - not much use I'm afraid.
Kriss

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
Hello Carmen,

Just a few weeks ago I looked into this same problem. Our local council has keys for the disabled toilets, they are called RADAR keys. I went to the council, explained the situation that mum in law has AD, I showed the enduring power of attorney to back up my story, I just filled my name in a book and they gave me a key. It was even free, I think some councils charge a few pounds. I was just asked to return the key when it was no longer needed. They gave me an address if I wanted to buy a book that listed all of the disabled toilets in the country. Incidentally the RADAR key fits all disabled toilets.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Last edited:

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

I have only just got a key to the disabled toilets for my parents, as well as our blue bade parking permits. Will post this on Resources for everyone.

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Keys can be ordered on the RADAR SITE £3.50 with a declaration
and £4.11 without a declaration.
2004 guide to all UK disabled toilets is available at £10.00.

day to day
Norman

ps forgot to mention there are 4000 disabled toilets in the UK

Last edited:

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Key received from RADA almost by return post.
I was suprised by the size of it,I suppose it's more difficult to lose it.
Now I won't have to stand outside the ladies wondering "how much longer"and wondering whether there is another way out.
Another little stress factor removed,I hope.
Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norrm,

Yes, the key is HUGE isn't it. Almost like the 'Key to the Exectutive Toilet'. Loo stops must have been quite awkward for you until now - you couldn't exactly go into the Ladies to find out if your wife was having problems and hanging around outside must have been a bit embarrassing too. All a thing of the past now - hurray for that.

Jude

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Same here: collected Radar Key from local council Friday morning, foc. Only had to complete a simple form declaring type of disability and giving contact address.
No chance of putting it onto my everyday bunch of keys (unless I invest in a weightlifter's belt), but it is worth its weight in gold: tried it out on Friday afternoon. Such a simple, stress-free 'operation', both of us re-appeared relaxed and smiling, hands washed, all buttons and zips done up and in charge of belts, bags and coats.
As I said before - why didn't i think of it earlier?!
Cheers - Carmen

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
We are away next week and I am looking forward to using THE KEY.
No more loitering outside ladies toilets,no more lost sun glasses,no more queues,no funny looks when I'm standing holding a handbag!
Another little victory
all the best
Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norm,

Yeah, and no more members of the public ringing the cops about you either...!!

Our carer, Glyn, who is about 6ft 4inches tall and wide, was having quite a few problems taking the oldies out alone. Mum would disappear into the Ladies and never come out again because she needs somebody to tell her to actually get off the loo. Poor Glyn was having to ask women to go in and find her, whilst he and Dad lurked around outside the door. They got some very strange looks, but fortunately the ladies were all very helpful when they understood that Glyn wasn't a peeping tom or trying to grab their handbags.

So no more dramas! A big relief in more ways than one.

Let's hope there are loads of disabled loos in Weston.

Jude

egg

Jul 31, 2004
Birmingham
weston

Enjoy weston Norman - toilets and all.

I was brought up in Bristol and we had frqent trips to weston - lots to recommend it and i still pop down there when i go to see my mum in Bristol.

have a lovely holiday

egg